1st Trimester

Are any of you doing Weight Watchers while pregnant?

How many extra points do you get?  Did your MD say it was okay to do?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are any of you doing Weight Watchers while pregnant?

• Weight Watchers is NOT ok to do while pregnant.  Breastfeeding, yes.  Pregnant, no.
  • wondering the same thing... I was doing WW when I found out I was pregnant and would like to have a guidline like WW to help me continue to eat healthy through this pregnancy, but a friend of mine said when she asked her WW group how many additional points she could have while pregnant...they told her she was not allowed to do WW and be pregnant.

BUT with dd#1 I know there was a group of WW pregnant mama's on the bump!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you can't do it while pregnant. You can still eat healthy, healthy food, but don't limit!
  • I am a lifetime member at WW.  Made my goal twice in 5 years.  I was at goal when I found out I was preggo.  I went to the meeting and told them I was pregnant.  They said that I'm no longer allowed to do WW, but I can attend the meetings.  AFTER you deliver you have 3 months to get back to goal or ya'll have to pay again....that is if you made lifetime before you got pregnant.  WW is NOT good to do during pregnancy b/c it's not enough calories for healthy weight gain.  WW is to lose weight and maintain.  Neither of which you will be doing during pregnancy.  Using their 8 healthy guidelines is fine, but actually counting points is not.
    Baby number 2 is on the way!! 1st - Kyla Faulk born 2/23/2011 My Wedding Bio BabyFruit Ticker
  • Isn't the point of WW to lose weight? I'm certain that whether you are overweight to begin with or not, you are not supposed to lose weight while PG.

I would get a book on pregnancy and just follow the nutritional guidelines there.

If you focus on eating good foods that you need to - protein, vegetables, fruit - it doesn't leave a lot of room for junk since you'll be pretty full.

All that being said, I haven't been eating that great since everything sounds disgusting right now but, it's temporary.

"If you find a mate in life, you should be loyal. In your case, grateful."
    SAHM to two sweet girls, both born at home; Baby #3 in 2013!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think I replied to your post on the Health & Fitness board a few days ago.

My friend stayed on WW during pregnancy.  She switched to the maintenance phase for the 1st trimester since your body doesn't need any extra calories, but shouldn't be losing weight either.  For the remainder of her pregnancy, she switched to the breastfeeding option.  Both her doctor and nutritionist were on board.  But she was told to never, ever ignore hunger even if she had used up her points for the day.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Definitely don't diet while pregnant, but I don't see any harm in still watching what you're eating, calculating your points, and making sure you don't overeat. You only need 300 extra calories a day while pregnant. There's no need to gain more weight than needed while pregnant. I still wear my BodyBugg daily and count calories, carbs, etc. just like I did pre-pregnancy. I have never been overweight, most of the time underweight - but I am a personal trainer/fitness instructor and very body conscious. There's no reason not to care about your body, weight, calories while pregnant!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just eat healthy and exercise.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • just make healthy choices.   Don't diet.
    TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • WW is not going to "let you" follow the program while pregnant because it could be a liability issue for them. Talk with your doctor about it and see what s/he says.

• I think the ideas behind WW are good to follow while pregnant. The 8 Healthy Guidelines  are good no matter who you are, pregnant or not (fruit and veggies, protein, water, whole grains, dairy, healthy fats, multivitamin, activity)-- but the goal shouldn't be to lose weight
  • imagek_renee:
    I still wear my BodyBugg daily and count calories, carbs, etc. just like I did pre-pregnancy. I have never been overweight, most of the time underweight - but I am a personal trainer/fitness instructor and very body conscious.

Me too. I love my BodyBugg.  If I ate what most pregnancy books and websites recommend I would gain ~15 pounds in the first trimester alone.  I'm also a personal trainer/exercise physiologist and during my 1st pregnancy, I wasn't allowed to exercise and felt free from restrictive eating for the first time.......and gained twice the recommended amount of weight. And, no, BF'ing didn't help me lose any of it.    

• When I told my OB I lost 50 lbs with WW last year, she told me it was an EXCELLENT diet to follow while pregnant. Once I get my appetite back I plan to start up again. This is how I would do it:

Simply take the amount of points it takes to maintain your weight. For me that would be around 26 or 27. Then either A) Eat around 300 calories a day more than that or B) add an extra 4 or 5 pts to your day.  

WW won't let you pay for their services if you tell them you are pregnant. If they were smart, they would make a plan for pregnant women. Many women do not want to gain 50-100lbs while pregnant, but still do. If they would come up with a plan to help the preggos gain the right amount of weight, it would be a whole new client base, and they'd make a ton of money, plus they would have those clients on board when they want to lose the baby weight. But that is my opinion.  

ETA: Definitely talk to your doctor about dieting with WW prior to doing it. The only reason why I was so emphatic about my answer was the many people who said absolutely not without backing it up. 

• imagebootsie08:

Me too. I love my BodyBugg.  If I ate what most pregnancy books and websites recommend I would gain ~15 pounds in the first trimester alone.  I'm also a personal trainer/exercise physiologist and during my 1st pregnancy, I wasn't allowed to exercise and felt free from restrictive eating for the first time.......and gained twice the recommended amount of weight. And, no, BF'ing didn't help me lose any of it.    

Your metabolism increases when you're pregnant. I've been eating at least 2500 calories a day already, and not gaining anything. Before pregnant, I was following a diet plan where periodically you eat 2000 calories a day to boost your metabolism, and it would only take me about 4 days to gain 3 pounds -- so this is a big difference for me.

• imagemissfire:
    imagebootsie08:

Your metabolism increases when you're pregnant. I've been eating at least 2500 calories a day already, and not gaining anything. Before pregnant, I was following a diet plan where periodically you eat 2000 calories a day to boost your metabolism, and it would only take me about 4 days to gain 3 pounds -- so this is a big difference for me.

Your metabolism doesn't increase as much as people think and it's different for everyone. You need approximately 300 extra calories in the 2nd trimester and 400-450 in the 3rd.  During the 1st trimester, just being pregnant does not place a demand for extra calories on your body.

I know exactly how many calories I burn in a day and it has not changed since becoming pregnant, so I'm certainly not going to start following a "pregnancy diet" that recommends eating 750 more calories than by body is actually using.

• I asked my leader if I could just come to the meetings while I was pregnant to maintain healthy eating habits, but she wouldn't even let me do that. I was bummed because the weekly check in helped but I see the liabilty issue. I'll have to keep it up on my own!
  • I asked my Dr. first before telling WW that I was pregnant, and he said no.  He said to continue eating healthy like I was on WW but don't worry about the points.  He said if I feel hungry, then eat snack.
  • My doctor said it was fine to be on WW while I was pregnant.. just follow the maintenance plan.  I think WW is a misnomer really.... while the goal is to lose weight overall, I think the main focus is to be healthy.... so, I'm going to follow the maintenance plan through at least the first trimester.
  • I was told by my WW leader that I could no longer WI or attend meetings. I plan to go back and resume my online membership once I have the baby.  Although I am not using the e-tools right now, I am following the healthy guidelines as best I can. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"