Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Smoking hooka and breastfeeding

Does anyone know how long hooka stays in your system, and whether or not it's safe to breastfeed? I find this is the one thing I miss from my pre-motherhood life and would like to do it, but won't if it will affect LO. Please, no opinions, just facts would be appreciated. TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Smoking hooka and breastfeeding

• Your kidding, right?

• No flames here. I had my last cigarette 2 weeks before my BFP and still miss it daily.

My understanding of hookahs is that the tobacco still contains nicotine, which is very damaging to LO when you breastfeed (plus the other carcinogens in cigarettes). Hookahs just make the smoke feel less harsh on your lungs but the water doesn't filter out too many of the bad stuff, so it's basically the equivalent of a cigarette, health-wise.

Nicotine stays in your system 48-72 hours, I think, at least that's what I remember from quitting smoking.

Here's an article from the mayo clinic on it:

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265

• Loading the player...
  • Bwahahahahaha
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekayteatrudeau:

Your kidding, right?

No. It's not a drug, and not something I need. But it's something I enjoyed doing once on a while, just like having a drink.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageac_in_dc:

No flames here. I had my last cigarette 2 weeks before my BFP and still miss it daily.

My understanding of hookahs is that the tobacco still contains nicotine, which is very damaging to LO when you breastfeed (plus the other carcinogens in cigarettes). Hookahs just make the smoke feel less harsh on your lungs but the water doesn't filter out too many of the bad stuff, so it's basically the equivalent of a cigarette, health-wise.

Nicotine stays in your system 48-72 hours, I think, at least that's what I remember from quitting smoking.

Here's an article from the mayo clinic on it:

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265

Thank you. Now I know not to do it while breastfeeding my LO.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Please, no opinions, just facts would be appreciated. TIA!

Did you really think you could post something like this and not get opinions? If so, you're pretty dense about how this whole message board thing works. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • KKWISCKKWISC member
    imageRitaT22:
    imagekayteatrudeau:

Your kidding, right?

No. It's not a drug, and not something I need. But it's something I enjoyed doing once on a while, just like having a drink.

Umm...Wow!  You really think people are not going to give opinions on this. You remember your on the bump, right??

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Why is everyone freaking out?  Hooka doesn't necessarily mean marijuana!
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• i used to smoke hooka on occasion. No reason to think of it any differently than all the mom's who smoked cigarettes pre-preg. Just saying sorry you're getting flack. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageDreamsicle23:
    Why is everyone freaking out?  Hooka doesn't necessarily mean marijuana!

No one said it meant pot. But smoking anything that has tobacco in it is not something most would give the go-ahead to when you're BF. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It's the same as smoking a sig; don't do it. Your pre-mommy days are over. Have a glass of wine and get over it.
  • imagesleepingbeauty825:
    It's the same as smoking a sig; don't do it. Your pre-mommy days are over. Have a glass of wine and get over it.

Yes

::runs to get some wine because SB tempted me...:: 

It's the same as smoking a sig; don't do it. Your pre-mommy days are over. Have a glass of wine and get over it.

Wait a sec... smoking a cig doesn't equal being a mom, but drinking alcohol does?  Huh... interesting logic.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageOregonMama:

imagesleepingbeauty825:

Wait a sec... smoking a cig doesn't equal being a mom, but drinking alcohol does?  Huh... interesting logic.

I think you're taking what she said out of context. She means in regards to BFing, the glass of wine will be out of your system and it's okay to BF...the cigarette won't be out of your system.  

• I didn't say anything about equalling or not equalling being a mom, actually. Good catch there, Oregon. Smoking = harmful to baby. Drinking a glass of wine = not harmful to baby. There. Is that more clear?

ETA: Rita is prob a great mom and that's why she's asking.

• it was a question. it's not like she said she's smoking a hooka with her baby on her boob right now. maaaaaan.
  • Wow sorry you are getting so much *** from people. But I wouldn't do it til you aren't BFing anymore, only for the nicotine and everything
    BabyFetus Ticker

I didn't say anything about equalling or not equalling being a mom, actually. Good catch there, Oregon. Smoking = harmful to baby. Drinking a glass of wine = not harmful to baby. There. Is that more clear?

Alcohol might be out of your system quicker than nicotine but having a drink does not make you a better mom than someone that has a cigarette. Why all the judging? Who are you to be sarcastic about her mothering skills?

BabyFetus Ticker

• Not saying that it is ok to smoke and BF, but I did find this on kellymom.

https://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html

Just sayin.....

I think it was an ok ?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i miss le hookah too, but contrary to popular belief, not all shisha includes nicotine. if you have your own hookah or go to a hookah bar, you can buy/request nicotine-free shisha. after that, it's just a matter of 2nd hand smoke, i guess.
  • imagelambisami:
    it was a question. it's not like she said she's smoking a hooka with her baby on her boob right now. maaaaaan.
    THIS!
  • imageMelissa Christensen:

Not saying that it is ok to smoke and BF, but I did find this on kellymom.

https://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html

Just sayin.....

I think it was an ok ?

thanks for posting this. i had read this somewhere, but didn't have a link and wasn't about to say it myself without back up. :) 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagekaholland4:
    imagesleepingbeauty825:
    I didn't say anything about equalling or not equalling being a mom, actually. Good catch there, Oregon. Smoking = harmful to baby. Drinking a glass of wine = not harmful to baby. There. Is that more clear?

Alcohol might be out of your system quicker than nicotine but having a drink does not make you a better mom than someone that has a cigarette. Why all the judging? Who are you to be sarcastic about her mothering skills?

A. I was not being sarcastic in my ETA, if that's what you're referencing and B. I don't see ANYWHERE in this thread that someone said that drinking makes you a better mom than smoking. Seriously, remove your head from your butt.
    imagekaholland4:
    imagesleepingbeauty825:

A. I was not being sarcastic in my ETA, if that's what you're referencing and B. I don't see ANYWHERE in this thread that someone said that drinking makes you a better mom than smoking. Seriously, remove your head from your butt.

By saying have a glass of wine instead of smoking, since she's not in her "pre-mommy" days, you implied one was better than the other, and that smoking is a pre-mommy activity, whereas drinking is okay post-mommy.  If that is not what you meant to imply in your original response, it didn't come across that way.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The kellymom link is a good one. I agree that the nicotine-free hookah smoke is probably OK, and that there are still benefits to bf even if you smoke.

for me though I have to stay away from it totally b/c it's such a strong addiction and I worry about falling back into the habit. 

• imageOregonMama:

By saying have a glass of wine instead of smoking, since she's not in her "pre-mommy" days, you implied one was better than the other, that smoking is a pre-mommy activity, whereas drinking is okay post-mommy.  If that is not what you meant to imply in your original response, it didn't come across that way.

In the case of BF, yes. That is what I'm saying.
  • imageRitaT22:
    imagekayteatrudeau:

Your kidding, right?

So sorry...whenever I think hooka my mind goes back to highschool. I just thought the tobacco might not be good for LO is all.

Man, it's been so long since I had a drink!

• imagejustalittleabby:
    i miss le hookah too, but contrary to popular belief, not all shisha includes nicotine. if you have your own hookah or go to a hookah bar, you can buy/request nicotine-free shisha. after that, it's just a matter of 2nd hand smoke, i guess.

This! Alot of my friend's are middle eastern and we used to some the hookah alot... miss the apple flavored.....

• This is not related to the post at all...but the picture of your LO is ADORABLE!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"