Multiples
Options

Please share your induction story

Here I am, amazingly blessed to have made it to 37 weeks. My docs are saying that if I get to 38 weeks without going into labor on my own, they'll want to induce.

Both of my babies are head down (and have been since very early on), and A is bigger than B. I am thrilled to be a candidate for vaginal delivery, as that's what I'd very much prefer. I'm not thrilled about the idea of being induced because I know that medical induction can lead to cesarean.

Will you share your induction story? Even if it led to a C-section, please--I want to hear/read all stories. Also, if you wish you'd done anything differently around your induction, please share.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please share your induction story

• Options

If I ever get pregnant again, I'll avoid induction at all costs b/c the Pit HURTS, but I'm so glad I opted for vaginal. 

I went in at 36w5d and had cervidil entered at 6pm.  Started pit at 7am.  Water broke at 2pm (baby A).  I was at 2cm.  Contractions started to get intense!  They gave me nubane, which did nothing for my pain and made me dizzy.  I would have rather had nothing b/c I was in extreme pain and I couldn't see straight.  Great.  

Finally around 7pm I got the epi.  Things progressed pretty slowly, but there were a couple times where they had to shut the pit off b/c I was contracting so strongly and so frequently (my uterus never went to a resting point), they were worried about rupture.  I was finally at 10 at 5am.  Pushed for an hour with A, and 15min for B.  It hurt like hell, but I would do it over in a heartbeat (minus the nubane)

• Options
    I went in the night before to start the IV antibiotics because I was GBS-positive. I asked the OB to give me Cervidil at the same point to help the induction go faster in the morning, and it did help--I was dilated to a 2.5 before Cervidil and a 4 the next morning. They started the pitocin around 9 a.m. and I was tolerating the Pitocin contractions fine but not making much progress; by 1 p.m. I was dilated to a 5. So at that point the doctor broke Baby A's water and within 20 mins the contractions were totally overwhelming. So I asked for an epidural at 1:45 ... and didn't get it until 3:50. :( That was a miserable 2 hours, I'm not gonna lie. Once the epidural kicked in though, it definitely helped. The pushing stage started at 5:45 and I wish I had asked them to turn down the epidural so I could've felt the urge to push. The nurse had to coach me through pushing, and she did a great job ... but it took 3 hours, and I wonder if it would have gone faster if I hadn't been so numb. (Well, I was mostly numb but I did feel a constant painful cramping-type sensation in my lower abdomen after a while.) Baby A finally came out at 8:43 and then the OB did an ultrasound, found out Baby B had flipped to breech yet again, and did a breech extraction of Baby B, so he was born at 8:50.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I went to 38w 5 days (both were vertex at this time). I really wanted to deliver vaginally. I started pitocin drip early in morning (7-ish?) and got an epi around 11. I was 100% effaced but barely dilating. My MFM tried to break A's water (it is a contraption that looks like grandma's knitting needle!) and it hurt like He*L w/o an epi. 3rd try (and after the epi had kicked in), he broke A's water.

After this happened, I was laboring well...but B ended up shifting around and ultimately blocked A from descending down any further in my canal. He had to convert to a c/s and the girls were born at 4 and 4:01 pm.

While I'm bummed that I didn't get my vag delivery, I am totally happy and by no means "scarred" at having a c/s. It happened very quickly and was an overall good experience.

Congrats on cookin' em this long! Keep up the good work!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My IRL BFF is on here MrsBKP.  She's busy this weekend, so I will just share her story.  She was induced with pit.  Her cervix was favorable at the time of induction, but I can't remember what it was.  Her pit was started at about 8 AM, and she was complete around 3:30 PM.  She had an epidural around noon.  She pushed only a handful of times in her room and was moved to the OR.  She pushed a handful of times in the OR and delivered both boys.  She made it look sooooo easy.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options
    Both babies were head down and at last scan (1 month prior) they babies were the same time. I went in 4 am, got pit around 5-6am and got epi within an hour after starting pit. Labored pain free until 7. Pushed until 9:12pm for Baby A and then 9:42 for Baby B. Baby A's head was turned sideways or it would have gone a lot quicker. Baby A was MUCH smaller than Baby B (A= 5#10oz B=8#7oz). I don't have anything to compare it to, but I didn't think the induction process was awful at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    I was induced at 36w2d.  I went in at 8pm on Sunday and got the pitocin around 10pm.  I made it to 9cm before I decided on getting the epidural.  With my induction I had a lot more back labor then I did laboring with my first pregnancy. My first pregnancy I did with no epidural. I kept getting out of bed to go to the bathroom, just so I could get off my back every once in awhile.  When they told me I wouldn't be able to get up anymore because of the epidural at that point I didn't care.  My OB broke my water and I ended up pushing in the labor room for a little while and then got rolled down to the OR.  I had Kaden at 6:09am and Nolan at 7:14am.  Overall I had a pretty easy induction and delivery.
  • Options

I was induced at 38w2d - gestational diabetes and spiking blood pressure. And I had one of the bad ones - a very long labor ending in a c-section.

I went in at 2pm, got a Cervidil treatment at 4pm and started having contractions within 10 minutes. By 10pm the nurse and I were hopeful that I wouldn't need a second dose, but an internal exam showed I was only barely dilated (possibly around 1cm) and still not at all effaced. I got a second dose of Cervidil and a pethidine injection to try to ease the pain. About half an hour later, when I went back into the shower, my water broke.

Five looooong hours later, another internal exam showed that I was finally 5cm dilated and ready to move to the delivery room. At that point, I'd been having agonizing contractions that were only 1-2 minutes apart for 11 hours and I was exhausted, so I got an epidural.

Eight hours after that, the epi had worn off and I was finally 10cm dilated, fully effaced, and the first twin was making his way down the birth canal. I pushed for an hour and a half with no results - the baby wasn't moving at all. At one stage I had two doctors and three nurses staring at my nether regions to make sure I was pushing effectively, and I was - but that little boy was stubbornly refusing to negotiate the final curve of the birth canal. My doctors gave me a small dose of the epidural to give me a chance to rest - 45 minutes later, the dose was starting to wear off, and I pushed for another hour, but my body was so exhausted from 19 hours of labor plus the three hours of pushing that the contractions were starting to slow and weaken, even with Pitocin helping them along. At that point the babies were still fine, but I was beyond exhausted and my doctor recommended a c-section, and I agreed - my boys were born at 3.40 and 3.42pm that day.

Even though I had one of the "bad" experiences, I agree with atc - I'm happy and not at all emotionally scarred over having a c-section. I'm glad I gave vaginal a shot, but clearly it just wasn't going to happen for us and the c-section itself was quick and, frankly, a relief after my very long and painful labor. And now I have my beautiful boys!

• Options

I think I was 1 cm when I was admitted at 7pm on a friday night at 36 weeks for an induction b/c of rising bp and dropping platelets...they did a foley bulb which was uncomfy, but 2 hours later it came out and I was dialated to a 4...got some narcatics and slept the night when frequent nurse checkins...woke up sat morning still at a 4, had a shower, and started pit...all day long no progress...got up sunday and another day of pit...no progress...turns out the girls were head butted in there and couldn't drop...so at 5pm I had a c-section...

the only thing I wish I'd done differnetly was opt for the c-section sun morning instead of getting another day of pit (they didn't offer me the option...just set it up..but I should have spoken up)...the c-section itself wasn't all that bad...GL!

• Options

I was induced at 38w1d.  I was 75% effaced and 4.5 cm dilated.  They started pitocin at 7 AM and by noon I was 6 cm dilated.  They broke my water at noon and I moved to 7 cm dilated by 1.  I got the epidural at 1:30 and dilated to 10 cm by 3:30. I started pushing about 3:45.  Baby A was head down and was born at 5:20 PM and Baby B was also head down (and the smaller of the two according to u/s measurement, he was bigger) and was born at 6:30 PM.  I had 2nd degree tear but it wasn't too painful.  I was up and moving around an hour after delivery and had a very good recovery.

Good luck to you!

• Options
    I had the exact same background as you.  Made it to 38 weeks and because of shear discomfort I was scheduled to be induced.  BOth babies were head down and both heads were actually in my birth canal. I went in at 1:15am to get started with an induction.  They put me on cervadil at 4am and by 12:30pm I was in agony with contractions and cramping.  They would only allow me to be in one position and it was a position that caused me severe cramping.  I could tolerate the position for about 30-40 minutes and then I had to go off the fetal monitors and take a break.  I did this for hours and the contractions kept intensifying and it was at that point my doctor gave me the option of a c section.  She said it would just keep getting worse and I technically wasn't in "real labor".  I felt like such a failure and a huge wuss.  At 12:30pm we decided to have the nurse take the cervadil out and check my progress and I was still 1 cm so no progress whatsoever.  The contractions immediately stopped and I was able to change positions because I no longer had to be on continuous fetal monitoring.  I scheduled a c-section for the very next day and delivered my girls at 4:30pm and 4:31pm.  My doctor said when they delivered baby A that baby B went nuts and she would have ended up going in for a c-section because of it.  I am thankful that I made teh decision to switch to a c-section because my worst fear was having to recover from both a c-section and a vaginal birth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"