South Florida Babies
Options

PCOS & Progeserone

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant with no luck, so we went to the MD and found out i have PCOS.  i had been on birth control for 10 years, so i had no clue there was ever a problem.  the MD put me on progesterone for 10 days to bring on AF and i should start taking clomid on the 3rd day.  after 7 days of taking the progesterone (this past monday) i started spotting.... and i've been spotting ever since.... 

is this normal?  should i expect a normal AF soon or is this spotting considered normal and i mised my oppurtunity this month to start the Clomid...

please help!!!!!! 

Re: PCOS & Progeserone

• Options
    Did they put you on progesterone or provera? Also, if you've been diagnosed with PCOS your best bet is to begin seeing an RE. They are better trained in helping you get PG with a dx.
    TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options
    i took regular progesterone.  My dr told me that spotting would be normal, but i've had it for so many days, i don't know if i should be expecting something more.... =(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I second pp suggestion to go see an RE ... even if you feel you have the best OB in the world. My OB diagnosed me with PCOS and wanted me to take one course of action to get pregnant. I trusted her, but am so glad I found an RE who specialized in PCOS, because he took me down a different path and we began treating symptoms, rather than just masking them to get pregnant. I have my RE to thank for my beautiful 2-1/2 year old son.

I'm sorry you are dealing with PCOS but know that there are many women on this board who have PCOS and were able to get pregnant. Good luck.

• Options

Yes, Progesterone will "mess" with your cycle a bit, and prolong AF arriving. 

Like pp said, I too would recommend seeing an RE, as they have the best knowledge on the subject.  Also, make sure when taking Clomid, you are being properly monitored (ie., u/s and b/w). 

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Agree with all pp's. Definitely see an RE. An RE will know exactly what to do, to help your body achieve a pregnancy. This was one of my minimal obstacles along the way and as you can see, many of us on this board, have been blessed. Best of luck :)

• Options

imagecmcruz22:
    i took regular progesterone.  My dr told me that spotting would be normal, but i've had it for so many days, i don't know if i should be expecting something more.... =(

Taking the P4 itself is not going to cause you to get your period, your  inducing a menses by taking the progesterone (for 5-10 days till your lining builds up) and then discontinuing it. The imbalance causes your period to come, that usually happens within 5-10 days of when you stop taking it. That being said, some women spot while on progesterone. Regardless of when in the cycle they are taking it.

Ditto what the ladies said about being closely monitored while on Clomid, or any med used to induce ovulation. Everyone's body reacts to it differently so there sure be ultrasounds and/or bloodwork being done while you are on it. I cannot say enoughhow importat seeing an RE is. Your OB was only trained to help you once you are pregnant and RE is the way to go if you are trying to get pregnant and already have a diagnosis of a "problem". Once you do get pregnant after about 7-8 weeks you weill be releasd back to the OB for the remainder of your pregnancy.

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

TTC #2
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options
    Thank you so much
  • Options
    Thank you so much
  • Options

*** i pushed the wrong button on the iPhone**  Thank you all so much for your encouraging words.  I really do appreciate it!  One question..... what is RE and do you have any recommendations?  thanks again ladies!

• Options
    imagecmcruz22:

*** i pushed the wrong button on the iPhone**  Thank you all so much for your encouraging words.  I really do appreciate it!  One question..... what is RE and do you have any recommendations?  thanks again ladies!

An RE is a Reproductive Endocrinologist aka Ferility Dr. I went to IVF Florida ivfflorida.com and saw Dr. Vanessa Weitzman. She was absolutely amazing :) 

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear

TTC #2
  • Options
    So FL Inst for Reproductive Medicine is awesome, and her staff is amazing.  I saw Dr Thompson.  They have offices in So Miami, and Pembroke Pines.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks again ladies for all your help!
  • Options

RE - Reproductive Endocrinologist

I went to Palmetto Fertility Center and saw Dr. Graubert. Amazing man and his staff is beyond wonderful. Smile Do your research first and check out each clinics success rates, according to your age and fertility issues. It makes a huge difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"