3rd Trimester
Options

when do you stop eating before labor?

how soon before labor are you supposed to stop eating? my mom keeps asking me this. i'm getting induced monday morning (with cervadil tomorrow night) should i stop eating at some point and switch to all liquid/ice chip kind of stuff?

Re: when do you stop eating before labor?

• Options
    I don't know with an induction as I haven't had one, but I wouldn't stop eating unless the doctor orders it--you're going to need your energy. As long as I'm not barfy, I'll be snacking throughout labor so I don't zonk out.
  • Options
    I'd probably eat up until you go in to the hospital unless they told you otherwise. If they stop you from eating and you haven't eaten for hours before you will be starving. I was never told ice chips only though. 
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Nope.  They'll give you an enema to clean you out Monday morning before they give you the pit.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

thanks, ladies!

ougrad, i'm so glad you said that. my mom told me they would give an enema to clean things out, but my husband keeps scaring me with stories. . .

• Options
    Oh yeah, the enema. They told me I was going to get one but I never did, lol.
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageDani816:

thanks, ladies!

ougrad, i'm so glad you said that. my mom told me they would give an enema to clean things out, but my husband keeps scaring me with stories. . .

Don't let him scare you...like he knows!  lol-

GL!!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was induced the first time and never got an enema. FYI.
  • Options
    When I was scheduled to be induced my doctor told me to eat a really big breakfast before I came to the hospital at 7am, cause as soon as I was admitted I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything.
  • Options
    Everything I've read and heard says they don't do enemas anymore, that was the old school way...
    We love our little guys!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

When I was scheduled for an induction at 6am, I was told not to eat after midnight. It looks like different doctors have their own rules. I would call your OB or whatever doctor is on call and ask.

FYI, I ended up going into labor the day before I was scheduled to be induced. I went ahead and ate something light before going to the hospital and I was fine.

• Options

wtih my first, i had cervidil at 6pm, ate normally until midnight and then  they let me have a mini bagel at 5am and started pitocin at 6am. 

• Options
    Depends a lot on the opinion of your doctor and what you feel comfortable doing. I had GD with DD and I was worried about my blood sugar getting too low during labor, so I asked ahead of time if I'd be able to eat. My doctor looked at me like I was crazy for thinking that I couldn't eat. With DD, my water broke, but I didn't have any contractions (until I got on pitocin) and I ate between my water breaking and getting the pitocin.
  • Options
    imageougrad1:

Nope.  They'll give you an enema to clean you out Monday morning before they give you the pit.

I was induced with DD (well, after my water broke with no contractions) and I didn't have an enema. 

• Options
    smerkasmerka member
    My OB told me not to eat dinner when I went in to start the cervadil Sunday night.  When I got to the hospital, the nurses insisted that I eat something.  Once they started the pitocin, I couldn't have anything but ice chips.  I didn't have an enema.
  • Options

I had an enema when I was induced 6 years ago. But I know many, many women who were induced and never had to have one. So it would depend more on your hospital. Also -- eat before you go!! Labor is hard work. I've never understood how doctors think women are supposed to make it through labor without any fuel. Even being in labor only 5.5 with my DD, I was starving by the end. I'm happy my midwife will allow me to eat and drink through labor if I need to. I don't want to a repeat of OMGZ I'm going to eat my hand!! haha.

Best of luck.

• Options
    imageDani816:

thanks, ladies!

I've heard that a lot of hospitals don't do this anymore--I know mine specifically addressed it on the tour (that they no longer do them). I'll cross my fingers for no enema for you!

• Options

Butting in from 0-3

I was induced last weekend with cervadil and as soon as it was inserted, I was brought lunch by the nurses.  Don't stop eating until they tell you to since you will definitely need all the energy that you can get.  I didn't get an enema with my induction.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"