Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Baby won't sleep in bassinet (flat on his back)

baby only sleeps in a car seat or in a cradle thats small and supports his head and keeps elevated but not in the bassinet and we didnt even try the crib yet.. 

not sure why he doesnt sleep on his back, he screams and cries when we put him down.  

Re: Baby won't sleep in bassinet (flat on his back)

• Is he gassy? Does he always have an issue sleeping flat on his back?

I would bring it up to the pedi at his next appointment. My LO had trouble sleeping flat on her back (among other things) and we found out she had AR.  

Also, the Fisher Price Rock N Play is wonderful for babies that need to be elevated. It was honesty a life-saver for us. Good luck! 

• I agree with PP about asking about AR.  DD has it and fusses like crazy if she's laying in a position that's uncomfortable.  She likes to lay on her side.  We bought a sleep positioner to keep her from rolling on her tummy and we lay her on her side in her crib (she hated the pack and play bassinet).  It's worked pretty well so far.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I would be cautious about using the car seat to sleep in, it lowers their oxygen levels by compressing their chest.  It's definitely not a safe option for an extended time.
  • Do you have a bouncer? My DD slept in her bouncer for the first 2 months, now she's able to sleep on her back or side with no problems. THe bouncer doesn't compress their chest like a car seat does, at least mine doesn't. We have one from target.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagejamdv3:
    Do you have a bouncer? My DD slept in her bouncer for the first 2 months, now she's able to sleep on her back or side with no problems. THe bouncer doesn't compress their chest like a car seat does, at least mine doesn't. We have one from target.

My DS also sleeps in his bouncer 90% of the time. He's only napped in his PMP a couple of times and NEVER in the crib yet.

• My ds was the same way as well.  We used the bouncer for a while until I heard about the Rock N Play sleeper and I got that and he sleeps great in it.  I like the Rock N Play over the bouncer since its' meant to be slept in, whereas a bouncer isn't really meant for that. 

He will sleep on his back now, however I love having him right next to me and being able to reach over and rock him if he starts to fuss at all.  He sleeps 9-10 hours at night so I'm not ready to experiment with the crib yet and possibly give up those long hours of sleeping, especially since my dh works long hours and so I don't ever really get a break during the day since DS won't nap really and I have no help.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"