Trying to Get Pregnant

Saline ultrasound, increasing chances of getting pregnant?

Hey everyone...former Knottie here, new to the TTC boards.  DH and I have been trying for almost 1 year and while it's too early to be worried, we're still keeping an eye on things since I'm 33 and he's 35.  

So I consulted my OBgyn to see if she any advice and she suggested a saline u/s to just take a look at make sure things were okay.  She also said that sometimes when couples have this done, they end up getting pregnant soon thereafter because the u/s can "clean things out".  I was just wondering if anyone has had this done in the TTC stage and what the outcome was?  Thanks!

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)

Re: Saline ultrasound, increasing chances of getting pregnant?

• I'm interested to see what everyone else says about this. My doctor told me the same thing. My SIL got pregnant after having this done, but I suppose there's no way to actually prove it was bc of the test. Good luck either way!

• There is some evidence that having an HSG gives you a higher chance of pregnancy for something like 3 months. It can "knock loose" small blockages. Anecdotally, I have a few friends who were part of this statistic. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the SHG done in March.  My RE did not say anything about it helping with TTC (unless they see something that needs to be treated).  This is my second medicated cycle since the SHG.  The SHG has not resulted in a pregnancy or any other noticable changes.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • As Patty said, I've heard this about HSG but *not* SHG.  The saline is not as thick as the dye contrast used for HSG.  Also, your reason for not getting pregnant would have to be tubal blockage for this to be possible.

Sometimes I wonder if it just takes some women a little longer than the standard year, and they just happen to get pregnant around the time that they began infertility testing?

• Thank you for the responses, I really appreciate it!  I think I'm having a SHG, not HSG but I guess I'll find out when its done.  Hopefully it will help rule out any problems and move things along on the TTC front too! Smile

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)
  • imagesulfababy:

As Patty said, I've heard this about HSG but *not* SHG.  The saline is not as thick as the dye contrast used for HSG.  Also, your reason for not getting pregnant would have to be tubal blockage for this to be possible.

Sometimes I wonder if it just takes some women a little longer than the standard year, and they just happen to get pregnant around the time that they began infertility testing?

I can't bold from my bb, but yeah, I have to imagine that, if your tubes we blocked but you do ovulate, the only way this works for people is because you've unblocked the tubes and the egg can now make its way through. I had the HSG, and my tubes were clear, yet I don't ovulate, so having the test done wouldn't mean an increased chance for me, KWIM?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't but I wanted to say welcome and good luck!
    TTC #1 since 4/10 Clomid 2/11, tube check= BFP @18dpo (would not pee on anything earlier!) Due 11/14/11! BabyFruit Ticker</a
  • I had my SHG done on Wednesday and the u/s tech told me the same thing about it possibly increasing my chances of getting pg. But, I think in my case, since I believe it is MFI, this will probably not increase our chances. But, maybe it will for you. GL.
    Love multiplies it doesn't divide!!
    <a href="http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae238/MaMaSiBs/?action=view
  • I had one done in April after 2 years of TTC.  I was pregnant three weeks later!     I had an HSG done over a year ago but this was my first SHG.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"