Birth Stories

XP from 3rd tri....My birth story...long & a bit scary!

Well, I was due to be induced on July 6th...went into labor on the 4th on my own instead.  I was soooo excited to finally be having my little man!!!  We went to the hospital around 9pm and I labored in the tub for a while...finally decided I wanted pain relief around 11 and had some nubain (spelling is prob. wrong).  It worked for a little while, but I finally got to the point that I wanted an epidural (scary for me because I never had one with either of my first two sons).  SO....I got that around 4 am, at which point my midwife tells me "I think this is going to be your biggest child yet, by a WIDE margin"  (my other sons were 9lbs 10oz and 8lbs 13oz).  She suggests that we try some pitocin to see if he'll progress downward & if my cervix would dilate more and we'd make the call on doing a c-section at 8:30am....before her shift ended & when the chief of OB came on duty.  Well, we decided to do the c-section and Zander was born at 11:55am....weighing in at a whopping 12lbs 3.8 oz!!!!!!!!!!  Thank GOD I didn't ask to try a vaginal delivery....poor thing would have gotten stuck.

I was released from the hospital on Wed....and on Thurs. night began to hemorhage.  My husband called 911 and I was rushed to the ER at a different hospital than where I delivered (it was closer to home).  I spent about 7 hours in the ER before I requested a hysterectomy to stop the bleeding.  I ended up having 10 units of blood before and during the surgery and spent one day in ICU and 3 days on the maternity floor before being discharged.  I am lucky to be alive and well to raise my children.  I was fortunate that my husband and baby were allowed to room with me and I could continue breastfeeding.  I thank God for each and every nurse and doctor who helped to save my life, as well as for my husband and family that supported us during this scary time.

If you have a gut feeling that something isn't right, or if you feel off or sick at all, please, please don't hesitate to call your doctor right away.  Don't second guess it, just make the call....better to be safe than sorry!

Re: XP from 3rd tri....My birth story...long & a bit scary!

• I am sooo happy you're okay! I had a similar experience after delivery (I just posted it after yours). Doesn't it make you so thankful for everything you have? Congratulations on your baby!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Makes me tear up every day thinking about how lucky I am to be here with my 3 awesome boys & my wonderful husband.  Your birth story was scary, as well.  Congrats on your gorgeous daughter AND on your amazing outcome.  We're both lucky, lucky girls to still be here. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"