Military Families

for those who pcs'd to colorado

if you opted to live off post were you able to find a place you found online or did you have to go out there first? dh and i are planning a trip there before we pcs but with him coming home right before then, the actual pcs, going to chicago to visit dd's godparents, and the holidays i'm not looking forward to a 27 hours drive from ga to colorado with a baby.

Re: for those who pcs'd to colorado

• DH came out by himself and found a place, then I joined him once everything was settled.  
  • isn't duchess in CO also?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageARMYmarriedNAVY:
    isn't duchess in CO also?

She's in Denver I believe. 

• I just want to say have fun! I met my DH when he was stationed at Carson.  I grew up in CO..There are a lot of good places to live in the springs!
  • thanks. i'm hoping i like it, but never been in a cold climate. i grew up in cali, moved to tx, then ga. all dry heat or hot and humid. dh is really looking forward to this pcs, i hope i enjoy it as much as he does cause ga sucks!
  • We looked online so we'd have a list when we got here, but we didn't pick a place without seeing it.  I'm glad, because most of the ones that looked great online had some kind of deal-breaker that we wouldn't have known about without seeing it in person.  Some of the things that were not ok in person were that the neighborhoods weren't as great as they looked in pictures, one of the houses smelled very strongly of cat urine, another was on a very busy street, one was at the top of a very steep hill (not something I wanted to mess with when the streets were icy/snowed over since most neighborhoods don't get plowed), etc etc.  We ended up going with a house that we didn't even find online. 

I wouldn't get something without seeing it in person.  I know people who have done it, and it's worked just fine, but it's not something I would chance myself. 

You don't have to come out early though, if you can't work in the extra trip.  When we PCS'ed we just moved up here, stayed in a hotel for a week (with our babies and our 2 dogs so it can be done), and spent that whole time looking at houses.  We found our house the second day, and had signed for it by the end of the week.  It was a lot easier than I expected it to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"