D.C. Area Babies

Shopping Cart/High Chair Cover

Do you use one? Honestly, I have one, but I've stopped using it the past week. I didn't have it one day and so I just had to put him in the cart...and he really did better, though it was probably a coincidence. Anyway, I feel like it is such a pain. But of course since I've stopped using it every mommy I see is using one, and I feel like a terrible mom! If you do use one and like it, which do you have?
Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Shopping Cart/High Chair Cover

• We had one and I think we used it about 5 times.  It was a pain to put in and it was just so much easier to just put her in the cart and buckle her in.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Nope.  Started putting DS in carts at 5 months old and never even considered using a cover. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I like the Eddie Bauer one we got from Target for $15. I like using the cover since DS puts his mouth on *everything* and I'd rather he put his mouth on something I washed, plus it has the links for toys.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have the floppy seat and only use it about 1/2 the time (both for shopping carts and high chairs).  It was nice when he was just starting to sit up enough for the carts/chairs, to add a bit of padding.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I never bought one.  When I was home on maternity leave, DD was in the infant carrier and when I went back to work, I started grocery shopping at lunch so she wouldn't have to come with me.  On the rare occasions when she does, she sits in the cart without any problems.
  • I still use ours because I bribe DS with snacks while I am shopping.  It helps contain his mess. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used the cover when they were little up until they stopped chewing on the handle.
  • No, I've never used one. With that being said, I rarely take DD to the grocery store and we don't eat out very often.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have one of those Eddie Bauer ones too. It was good for the shopping cart in case B needed certain toys or snacks but didn't want to hold them. I think we stopped a few months back, but more laziness.
    imageimage
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • i use it more to contain toys with the links, i dont always use it so as far as germs...whats the point then, but i do it when i feel like it:-)
  • I used mine once.  It took my mom and I about five minutes to get it secured and there was no way I was messing with that by myself with BabyCrown.  I did wear him until he was over six months, so by the time he was actually in a cart, he was mostly past the mouthing stage.  And most of the places I shop have the disinfectant wipes near the carts anyway.
  • I think the only type worth getting is the bag-type that just goes right over the cart, and has elastic around it.  I've had two different types that had straps you had to loop and buckle and such, and they were both such a PITA that they NEVER got used after that first time....just too difficult!

The bag-types are more expensive, but I think they are worth it if you have a kid that puts everything in their mouth (like mine do/did), they are so easy to use.  And i'd say it comes in more handy for the restaurant high chairs than the shopping carts...it's hard to completely disinfect the high chairs/straps.  I just think about all the food and gross stuff that gets on them...and then think about my kids' hands touching all those unclean parts and then eating food.  Yuk.  Yuk. Yuk.  :(

• We have the kind you just put over the seat, there is only one strap which I think you're supposed to loop through in some way as a "seatbelt" but we didn't really use it.  Like pp I like how it provided a little padding, contained toys and snacks, and helped prevent the kids from chewing the handle.  Can't remember how old each of the girls were when we stopped using it.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • My mom got DS one since I chipped a tooth on the shoping cart when I was getting to be his age.  He is still not sitting on his own completely yet, so we have yet to use it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had a FLoppy Seat cover and we used it ALL THE TIME for DD. I couldn't stand how filthy shopping carts and high chair were. I just kept it in the car and we had it available whenever we needed it.I found it very easy to use.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yes, we have whatever kind they sell at BRU - I think it might be a Boppy item, but I'm not sure.  We don't use it now, because DS is big, but I did use it quite a bit when he was younger.  It helped keep him in the seat and protected him from germs.
  • I used it for a while but then it got to be a pain in the butt to put that in and deal with a baby.
  • We use ours pretty frequently. I use it about half the time we grocery shop because we mostly shop at MOM's where the carts generally appear pretty clean the the buckles always work. But when you can't find a cart with a working buckle, the one that loops through the cover comes in very handy.

We almost always use it in restaurants. Do they ever even clean those seats? They're absolutely disgusting. Plus, C makes a horrible mess himself and the cover contains most of it so that we can just roll it up and take care of it at home. I also really like this place mat, although the suction cups are getting less sticky lately.

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"