D.C. Area Babies

Peanut allergy

We took DD for allergy testing today and found out that she has a severe peanut allergy as well as some allergies to some trees, grasses, mold, dogs, cats, horses, etc.  We're trying to get our minds around it all. As I'm a teacher, I've been around many students with severe allergies and I know all about epi-pens and everything, but it's still scary when it's your own child.  Does anyone know of any good websites to read up on for more information?  Thanks.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Peanut allergy

• When I used to do marketing work for associations I met with the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of American and they had a neat little "Allergies for Dumbies" book and since this was years ago, I'm sure they have that info, plus much more on their website now. That could be a good place to start.
  • sorry to hear about that cara, at least she didn't have a worse reaction at the playground.  I have had many parents say they are members of this site:

https://www.foodallergy.org/

at least you know it is totally manageable, is she touch also or just ingestion??  also how did you find out she had it(what prompted you to get the testing??) 

• Loading the player...
  • She's contact and ingestion.  We found out as she broke out in hives when we gave her some peanut butter.  She'd been eating it for a while with no problem, then bam! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • DD has significant food allergies, including peanuts.  Supposedly she's also a little allergic to dogs, but we have three dogs and everything is okay in that area.  Dr. Wood's Allergies for Dummies is a great and easy resource - he's one of the premier allergy researchers and is at Johns Hopkins, with a peanut allergy himself.  The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) is also a good resource.  www.foodallergy.org
  • that really sux, I'm so sorry!

• Giving you a hug for support.  All the pp nailed the websites that are good.  I have had a peanut allergy (ingestion only) for my entire life.  Its definitley manageable, once you get used to scanning every label.  Luckily, companies now have to label for the top eight allergens, which wasn't the case when I was growing up.  I have an epi-pen but don't carry it like I should (husband always scolds me).

Some things to watch for other than the obvious peanut ingredients - sunflower seeds and tree nuts are often roasted in peanut oil.  French fries and fried foods are often fried in peanut oil due to the high heat tolerance.  Chinese and Thai foods occasionally use the oil and the nuts.  Watch for peanut flour in granola bars, power bards, and baked goods.  Some "conveyor belt sharing" is fine with me, while some products aren't (Nestle choc. chips for example make me a bit ill.)

The hard part is making everyone else aware- friends might offer her treats or people may not really look at the ingredients even if you ask them. Check out Enjoy Life Foods (Whole Foods will become your good friend if it isn't already).

Hope this helps!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for this question--we're in the same spot, peanut allergy diagnosed after a breakout of hives. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"