Baby Names
Options

Link between parents' level of education & their baby's name

The post earlier where we were asked to choose the name that we thought more closely correlated with someone with a lower level of education got me thinking about this chapter in the book 'Freakonomics'.  These are some interesting lists they compiled.  All of these lists include data from the 1990s alone "to ensure a large sample that is also current" (I'm not sure why it only specifies "white" names).

Most Common White Girl Names Among High-Education Parents

1. Katherine

2. Emma

3. Alexandra

4. Julia

5. Rachel

Most Common White Girl Names Among Low-Education Parents

1. Kayla

2. Amber

3. Heather

4. Brittany

5. Brianna

Most Common White Boy Names Among High-Education Parents

1. Benjamin

2. Samuel

3. Alexander

4. John

5. William

Most Common White Boy Names Among Low-Education Parents

1. Cody

2. Travis

3. Brandon

4. Justin

5. Tyler

Twenty White Girl Names That Best Signify Low-Education Parents (and avg. number of years of mother's education)

1. Angel (11.38)

2. Heaven (11.46)

3. Misty (11.61)

4. Destiny (11.66)

5. Brenda (11.71)

6. Tabatha (11.81)

7. Bobbie (11.87)

8. Brandy (11.89)

9. Destinee (11.91)

10. Cindy (11.92)

11. Jazmine (11.94)

12. Shyanne (11.96)

13. Britany (12.05)

14. Mercedes (12.06)

15. Tiffanie (12.08)

16. Ashly (12.11)

17. Tonya (12.13)

18. Crystal (12.15)

19. Brandie (12.16)

20. Brandi (12.17)

Ten "Jasmines" in Ascending Order of Maternal Education

1. Jazmine (11.94)

2. Jazmyne (12.08)

3. Jazzmin (12.14)

4. Jazzmine (12.16)

5. Jasmyne (12.18)

6. Jasmina (12.5)

7. Jazmyn (12.77)

8. Jasmine (12.88)

9. Jasmin (13.12)

10. Jasmyn (13.23)

Oh, man, I could go on to include the boy names but this is probably getting exhausting for you, lol.  I just thought it was interesting and thought those on this board might, too!

This information was compiled using California's database.

My best friend, my husband, my everything
Matthew Kevin
7/31/83-7/20/11 image
Met 1/8/00
Engaged 4/21/06
Married 9/29/07
Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
Day Three

Re: Link between parents' level of education & their baby's name

• Options
    Pretty interesting!
  • Options
    :(  Brandon is my favorite boys name....guess I am a dummy.  I don't care though. LOL
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hmm... I would think Rachel would be on the less educated list.

Strange enough, I am educated and NONE of the names on "High Education" girls or boys appeal to me. I think alot of it has to do with personality (though I DO agree that less educated women tend to create some very "unique" names, as well as spellings). Hmm

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's interesting. Alexander is our top boy name choice and seeing how I have a Master's degree and my DH has a Doctorate I guess we fit in with the data.
  • Options
    I'd like to get my hands on this book some time. Funny, my name is number one (Angel), but this was ten years after I got it, so you know...I get a pass. Stick out tongue
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options

Oh, yeah, and the book also mentions that these names shift. 

"If you or someone you love is named Cindy or Brenda and is over, say, forty, and feels that those names did not formerly connote a low-education family, you are right.  These names, like many others, have shifted hard and fast of late."

They go on to say, "There is a clear pattern at play: once a name catches on among high-income, highly educated parents, it starts working its way down the socioeconomic ladder.  Amber and Heather started out as high-end names, as did Stephanie and Brittany.  For every high-end baby named Stephanie or Brittany, another five lower-income girls received those names within ten years."

The book is by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner.  They also include lists of the "blackest" boy and girl names and the "whitest" boy and girl names.

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options

I love Freakonomics!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love Freakonomics!
  • Options
    Interesting stuff. I'm curious to know the Black names. Will have to visit the library and take a look!
  • Options
    imageleahadrian:

Both my parents are highly education. Thanks.

White Knot
  • Options
    imageSimply Fated:
    imageleahadrian:

I was also wondering why this poster said this about Rachel? I think classic, biblical names in general do well with the highly educated set, look at Adam, Jacob, etc,

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageanna7602:
    imageSimply Fated:
    imageleahadrian:

I was also wondering why this poster said this about Rachel? I think classic, biblical names in general do well with the highly educated set, look at Adam, Jacob, etc,

Yeah... I'm wondering what logic this poster used. Rachel is a Biblical name, not like the ones the "less educated" parents use.

Kayla, Amber, Heather, Brittany, Brianna... Rachel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WhuikFY1Pg

White Knot
  • Options
    imageleahadrian:

Rachel is a popular Jewish girl's name.

• Options
    I actually did find it interesting.  Thanks for sharing.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options
    imageSimply Fated:
    imageleahadrian:

you mean highly educated? :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagettmccoot:
    imageSimply Fated:
    imageleahadrian:

you mean highly educated? :)

Yes, I did. Thank you! :)

While we're checking for grammar and spelling mistakes, do you mind if I ask a question? Did you mean to start out your sentence with a capital letter "Y" or with the word "Do?"

White Knot
  • Options
    imageSimply Fated:
    imageleahadrian:

Umm... ? Huh?

Geez, lighten up. Just stating my opinion. From what I'm familiar with, Rachel falls in the same category as Heather, Ashley, Brittany, Stephanie, etc. It was just funny to me to see how it was all listed, and this was meant to be JUST FOR FUN, right?!

• Options
    Wow that is very interesting..
  • Options
    There are also studies that show that kids with obscure/alternate spelling/made up names perform poorly academically. They can't say conclusively if it's because they are just not as smart because their parents aren't very intelliget, or if the teachers don't expect much from them due to their name so don't give them extra attention in classroom.
  • Options

Interesting.  My DD is Katherine.  We both have graduate degrees.

• Options

I wonder where my name fits into this?  As well as my husbands.

I have to thank my biological-POS-dad for my name though.  While married to my wonderful Mom and her being pregnant with me...he had a girlfriend named Meg.  My mom had absolutely no choice in my first name (I was going to be Rachael, if she would have had her way).  Anyway...she didn't catch on until about a month after I was born that he had a plan the whole time.

So...can you all guess where on the education status ladder my BPOSD stands?  I'm sure it's not hard to confirm that the man is a complete and utter dumbass.  :)

I am going to have to check this book out, sounds interesting.

• Options
    There are also studies that show that kids with obscure/alternate spelling/made up names perform poorly academically.

..I don't think this is always the case.I have always worked harder to show my peers and teachers that I am intelligent due to my youneek name (Starr).I am the top student in my degree program with a 3.9 GPA and I have always done well in school.My mother was a teenager,and I think that may have more to do with her name choice than her income.

I know if I had a child even 10 years ago at 19,I would be scared today of what i would have named him or her!

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• Options
    imageSimply Fated:
    imageleahadrian:

Haha... did it skip a generation?

• Options
    I hope freakonomics updates their baby name chapter and releases it.
  • Options
    This list is pretty much dead on correct with what I see at my junior high.
  • Options
    imageAutumnBride929:

The post earlier where we were asked to choose the name that we thought more closely correlated with someone with a lower level of education got me thinking about this chapter in the book 'Freakonomics'.  These are some interesting lists they compiled.  All of these lists include data from the 1990s alone "to ensure a large sample that is also current" (I'm not sure why it only specifies "white" names).

You have to separate it by race due to the confounding factor of race and socioeconomic status. According to the 2000 Census (and I'm sure not much has changed in the 2010 Census) a significantly higher percentage of impoverished people are minorities than Whites. Also, being poor is linked to lower levels of education. By controlling for race, no one can refute the data saying, "Wait a minute, all the top low education names are Black and Latino when you know they are more likely than Whites to be poor and therefore have lower education". It's good that they made a separate statistical analysis of each race.

• Options
    imageAutumnBride929:

Twenty White Girl Names That Best Signify Low-Education Parents (and avg. number of years of mother's education)

1. Angel (11.38)

2. Heaven (11.46)

3. Misty (11.61)

4. Destiny (11.66)

5. Brenda (11.71)

6. Tabatha (11.81)

7. Bobbie (11.87)

8. Brandy (11.89)

9. Destinee (11.91)

10. Cindy (11.92)

11. Jazmine (11.94)

12. Shyanne (11.96)

13. Britany (12.05)

14. Mercedes (12.06)

15. Tiffanie (12.08)

16. Ashly (12.11)

17. Tonya (12.13)

18. Crystal (12.15)

19. Brandie (12.16)

20. Brandi (12.17)

These are all 100% stripper names in my head. 

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"