Houston Babies

HELP -Woodlands Hospital -VS- Womens Hospital- HELP

Evening to all of my Houston Chickies!!

I need your reviews and suggestions about these two hospitals, I really like the Woodlands, but have had nothing but good reviews from the Womens Center in down town houston. Any thoughts or suggestions? The Woodlands looks more modern and up to date in most rooms, including the deliver rooms, yet Womens center seems to be so on top of there game...even if they do not seem to have the updated equipment.

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions!! Thanks!!

Re: HELP -Woodlands Hospital -VS- Womens Hospital- HELP

• are you talking about Memorial Hermann in the woodlands?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, thats the one... ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered both my boys by c-section at Woman's. I had a good experience the first time and a better experience the second time.

My second son was in NICU for the first three days. I was glad to be there where a very good quality NICU was very close to my room.

• As a neonatal nurse I would definitely choose to deliver my infant at Memorial Hermann in the Woodlands. Not only do they have a completely capable level 2 and level 3 NICU if required, but they are a very baby and family friendly hospital. They encourage rooming in and really encourage moms to have their babies with them throughout their hospitalization. I've spent time at Woman's Hospital and the feeling that I got is that they are very quick to whisk the baby away and go through the protocols that they feel are necessary without concern for the families desires. To me this is a deal-breaker.

• Great experience at Mem Hermann- Woodlands. Excellent nurses and loved the facility.

• imageascarawa:

As a neonatal nurse I would definitely choose to deliver my infant at Memorial Hermann in the Woodlands. Not only do they have a completely capable level 2 and level 3 NICU if required, but they are a very baby and family friendly hospital. They encourage rooming in and really encourage moms to have their babies with them throughout their hospitalization. I've spent time at Woman's Hospital and the feeling that I got is that they are very quick to whisk the baby away and go through the protocols that they feel are necessary without concern for the families desires. To me this is a deal-breaker.

I had a c/s at Woman's in December and experienced nothing like this.  I felt like everything was my choice (room in or nursery, feeding, etc).  I will definitely chose Woman's for my future deliveries.  We did a combo of BF and FF feeding in the beginning (DS was over 10lbs and wasn't getting enough to eat) but I asked them to give him formula.  I also asked to send him to the nursery overnight for 2 nights of our stay.

Both of us had great care and I recovered very well.  

• imagechrisbride04:

Great experience at Mem Hermann- Woodlands. Excellent nurses and loved the facility.

I had a fantastic delivery there as well.  The nurses were wonderful and I loved delivering and then staying in the same room.  I had an uneventful vaginal delivery at 38w6d so thankfully no interventions were necessary for me or my baby.

• I delivered at 35w1d in The Woodlands and really had a great experience.  My L&D nurse was awesome.  I was able to hold C as soon as they checked him out really quick (since he was early) and they helped me to nurse in the first hour.  He only left the room for about 1 hour and then I chose to send him to the nursery two different nights so we could get some sleep.  All the nurses and Lactation Consultants were really supportive in helping with BFing.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I delivered at Memorial hermann in the woodlands and i loved it. I had to be induced so i was there for 15 hours of wonderful labor  lol  all the nurses were wonderful and when i ended up having a c-section they explained everything to me and made me comfortable about it since it's not what i really wanted. I love the part about the baby being in the room the whole time if you want. I wasn't really worried about getting sleep because i usually slept when he did and my hubby changed the diapers and didn't wake me up during that time so it was nice.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekreeper611:
    imageascarawa:

As a neonatal nurse I would definitely choose to deliver my infant at Memorial Hermann in the Woodlands. Not only do they have a completely capable level 2 and level 3 NICU if required, but they are a very baby and family friendly hospital. They encourage rooming in and really encourage moms to have their babies with them throughout their hospitalization. I've spent time at Woman's Hospital and the feeling that I got is that they are very quick to whisk the baby away and go through the protocols that they feel are necessary without concern for the families desires. To me this is a deal-breaker.

I had a c/s at Woman's in December and experienced nothing like this.  I felt like everything was my choice (room in or nursery, feeding, etc).  I will definitely chose Woman's for my future deliveries.  We did a combo of BF and FF feeding in the beginning (DS was over 10lbs and wasn't getting enough to eat) but I asked them to give him formula.  I also asked to send him to the nursery overnight for 2 nights of our stay.

Both of us had great care and I recovered very well.  

Ditto this 100%

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageascarawa:

This was my experience. I had DD there and nothing could have persuaded me to have DS there. I had her via c/s at 9:38pm, saw her for 5min in OR then did not get her back until 2:30am. Like most moms I told DH to stay with baby... which left me completely alone and crying for hours. Nothing was wrong with DD, just "mandatory oberservation" bullshit.

If I lived in TW I would have used MH there as I feel it has a good rep. I used MH med center and was happy there. I've heard good things about methodist and st lukes too.

- Jena
  • It depends what type of birth you want. Women's is notorious for being not very woman or newborn friendly. This means that they are known for not following the safe birth practices outlined by CIMS to be medically sound practices. This also means that they have mandatory mommy/baby separation in the nursery and are notorious for NOT following a families orders regarding nursing/bottle feeding, vaccinations, etc... so it depends if you are more alternative health care choices or if you are looking for the all-American birth.

Women's has around a 50-60% cesarean rate and even higher formula-feeding rates.

Woodlands, OTOH, has natural childbirth friendly policies in place, advocate for women's health options, have a lower cesarean rate, better breastfeeding rates, and are considered more mother and baby friendly. 

So, I guess it just depends on what type of birth you want, where you should choose to labor and birth.

Good luck on your decision!

Cole

Doula, midwife apprentice, and childbirth educator. 

• imageSageBeginnings:

It depends what type of birth you want. Women's is notorious for being not very woman or newborn friendly. This means that they are known for not following the safe birth practices outlined by CIMS to be medically sound practices. This also means that they have mandatory mommy/baby separation in the nursery and are notorious for NOT following a families orders regarding nursing/bottle feeding, vaccinations, etc... so it depends if you are more alternative health care choices or if you are looking for the all-American birth.

Women's has around a 50-60% cesarean rate and even higher formula-feeding rates.

Woodlands, OTOH, has natural childbirth friendly policies in place, advocate for women's health options, have a lower cesarean rate, better breastfeeding rates, and are considered more mother and baby friendly. 

So, I guess it just depends on what type of birth you want, where you should choose to labor and birth.

Good luck on your decision!

Cole

you may want to take out the link to your blog since it appears it's a way for you to pimp out your business/services...

• I can't comment on Womens, but I delivered Blake at MHTW and it was a wonderful experience.  The rooms were nice and spacious.  They were great to me, DH, and Maren during the entire process and stay.  I truly don't have any negative comments.

I decided to use them over St Luke's as I heard better things about MH's NICU, and since Maren was premature - I wanted to be sure we had the best resources available for Blake should he be early too.  

Photobucket Photobucket
  • imageThatsMyGirl08:

you may want to take out the link to your blog since it appears it's a way for you to pimp out your business/services...

LOL - thanks, but I can't edit your quote. :)

• You Ladies were wonderful!!! Thank you so much for all of the great info...so here is my next question???

I have a Dr. I like at Women's but do not have one at Woodlands, to those of you who had munchkins at The Woodlands hospital, please send me your OBGYN's info or name and number and I will call to se up some consultations!!! Truly I can not thank you ladies enough!!!

• imageLilFurrBall:

You Ladies were wonderful!!! Thank you so much for all of the great info...so here is my next question???

I have a Dr. I like at Women's but do not have one at Woodlands, to those of you who had munchkins at The Woodlands hospital, please send me your OBGYN's info or name and number and I will call to se up some consultations!!! Truly I can not thank you ladies enough!!!

I haven't given birth yet but was so so so so so so sad to leave Bryan Behne with Women's Healthcare.  I had to swtich because the hour drive was getting too much.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"