Military Families

Anyone have an u/s at Dewitt, Walter-Reed or Bethesda?

I had my anatomy scan at Dewitt and I was rather unimpressed. I have to have another one (no one will tell me why yet) and I was thinking about making the drive to Walter-Reed or Bethesda if it might be a better experience. The u/s machine was old and gave crappy pictures, they were running 45 minutes behind schedule, and I got no feedback. Anyone have a better experience somewhere else?

Also, anyone give birth at Ft. Belvoir? I'm still debating about switching to standard. TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone have an u/s at Dewitt, Walter-Reed or Bethesda?

• I had lots of ultrasounds at WRAMC (I did IVF there and all monitoring is done in the OB office before regular office hours).  I felt that their machines were of the same quality as those that I had seen in other offices (granted, most of those were at MTFs as well).

It can't hurt to go to another location.  Word to the wise, parking at Walter Reed can be awful.  So, I would plan accordingly.

Best of luck.  I do hope that their wanting to see you again is routine follow-up.  It would bother me that I was not given a reason. 

• I had all of my prenatal care at NNMC in Bethesda. I also delivered there. 

My anatomy scan was done on a really nice machine and we got some good pics. They were really behind too though. All of the other ultrasounds I got were on older machines but that one was done by the radiology department and was really nice. I loved the care I got at Bethesda. It was a good experience overall.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • NSLNSL member
    I haven't been to WRAMC or NNMC since we PCS'd four years ago, but I would rather have stuck forks in my eyes than try to park at Walter Reed back then.  NNMC, on the other hand, had great parking and I always felt much more comfortable with the staff there. 
  • I was transferred from Belvoir to Walter-Reed with DD due to some breathing problems I was having during the pregnancy. I didn't have an u/s but I had a CT scan to chech for a pulmonary embolism and it wasn't a horrible experience but it wasn't the greatest either as far as staff was concerned. I have been to NNMC for other non-pregnancy related issues and their radiology department is great.

I delivered DD at Ft. Belvoir in 2008. It wasn't bad. I had her at the old hospital (not sure on the status of the new hospital). I was induced due to her size and complications with my 9 lb. DS's birth. My only complaint about Belvoir was that if you weren't having a c-section, you had a roommate and no private bathroom. My DH was in a class in Quantico (USMC) so he was there for DD's birth but left for the night and the next day so that meant every time I had to use the restroom, I had to take DD down to the nursery. I didn't appreciate the comments from the staff when I would due this...basically was huffed at and told..."again?" Yes ladies...again, I just had a baby and can't very well leave her unattended in my room. GRRR...since we now live in Fredericksburg, we have the choice of seeing civilian doctors and still get to stay on Prime or go to a MTF, so we obviously chose civilian.

• imageSmudges*Mom:

I had lots of ultrasounds at WRAMC (I did IVF there and all monitoring is done in the OB office before regular office hours).  I felt that their machines were of the same quality as those that I had seen in other offices (granted, most of those were at MTFs as well).

It can't hurt to go to another location.  Word to the wise, parking at Walter Reed can be awful.  So, I would plan accordingly.

Best of luck.  I do hope that their wanting to see you again is routine follow-up.  It would bother me that I was not given a reason. 

Yes, I am very unhappy about the situation. My doctors office won't bother to tell me anything until my appointment next week. Definitely a factor in me looking into standard.

• imageMarinemommyof4:

I was transferred from Belvoir to Walter-Reed with DD due to some breathing problems I was having during the pregnancy. I didn't have an u/s but I had a CT scan to chech for a pulmonary embolism and it wasn't a horrible experience but it wasn't the greatest either as far as staff was concerned. I have been to NNMC for other non-pregnancy related issues and their radiology department is great.

I delivered DD at Ft. Belvoir in 2008. It wasn't bad. I had her at the old hospital (not sure on the status of the new hospital). I was induced due to her size and complications with my 9 lb. DS's birth. My only complaint about Belvoir was that if you weren't having a c-section, you had a roommate and no private bathroom. My DH was in a class in Quantico (USMC) so he was there for DD's birth but left for the night and the next day so that meant every time I had to use the restroom, I had to take DD down to the nursery. I didn't appreciate the comments from the staff when I would due this...basically was huffed at and told..."again?" Yes ladies...again, I just had a baby and can't very well leave her unattended in my room. GRRR...since we now live in Fredericksburg, we have the choice of seeing civilian doctors and still get to stay on Prime or go to a MTF, so we obviously chose civilian.

Ugh, the shared room...I know that the new rooms have private bathrooms, but it does not say private rooms. I'm an only child, I don't like to shareStick out tongue

• Just left Ft. Belvoir back in Feb. and yes most of the equipment is old and dated. Since I had twins I had all my OB care and delivered at Bethesda and it was like being in a palace compared to DeWitt. I had to have several growth/anatomy scans done on the twins at Bethesda and their equipment is great.

After the twins I had to go several times to GYN at DeWitt because they were my primary care MTF since I lived on Belvoir and even had a lap surgery for endometriosis from them. The care they provided was on par with Bethesda they are just an old facility. I am sure that once the new hospital is open with all the new equipment and rooms things will be much different.

I also had several u/s at Walter Reed and did my IVF through them and their equipment is all up to date as well, at least in the RE clinic. Can't speak about OB in general. But like others have said getting to Walter Reed was not fun. I took the Metro because driving and that parking lot are a pain.  But at the time I was not PG (well not at first), so walking from the Metro station to Walter Reed was not an issue for me, it was about a 15 min. walk.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"