Birth Stories

Low-lying placenta/induction/pain-med free/2nd child

Thought I'd share my experience since there were some things I was concerned about going in, but in the end I had a positive experience.

I was induced at 39 weeks because I had a low lying placenta (was not previa so I was allowed to do trial of labor, but there was an increased risk of bleeding).  With this baby measuring large/prior baby on the large end and a history of fast labor, my OB felt the potential risks of going on (larger baby = increased risk of bleeding, which if labor went quickly again could potentially get severe before I got to the hospital) outweighed the cons of an induction, particularly given my cervix was favorable for induction and it was my second baby after a successful vaginal delivery.

We arrived at the hospital around 6 am, and they got me set up with an IV/etc.  When they checked, I was already around 4 cm on my own, and fully effaced.  They started pitocin at 8 am, and decided to break my water around 9 am.  Things went pretty smoothly, with contractions ramping up in frequency and intensity, and I was 8 cm by around 10 am.  Around 11:30 am, I was still at 8, and the nurse suggested I try sitting more upright in bed.  They contractions became quite strong and close together, and I considered an epidural if I was still at 8.  The nurse and OB encouraged me not to (the nurse said the fact I was considering it was probably a sign I was close, and she was right).  By 12:10, I was ready to push, and DD was born after about 60 seconds of pushing.  She was 9 lbs even (the US estimates were spot on, and she had been estimated at gaining over a lb a week at the end, so I am glad with the bleeding risk that I was induced when I was).  I had no excess bleeding from the low-lying placenta, although I did have a second degree tear along the same spot I had previously had one with DD #1.

Some comparisons to my first delivery when I went into labor spontaneously and labored primarily at home.  I didn't find the pitocin contractions to be more severe than my natural ones, just closer together at the end.  I've heard part of the issue with pitocin is labor comes on so suddenly, and since I had a fast labor with DD #1 anyway (6 hours, including an hour of pushing) maybe that's why they were similar for me. Pushing went *much* faster and easier this time.  I found my nurses/OB to be very supportive of avoiding pain meds, although it certainly is more tempting when you know they are there and things get rough (I went through transition in the car with DD #1 on the way to the hospital, no option on meds).  The hardest thing was not being able to get up and move around at all after they broke my water.  I think part of why I stalled at 8 cm for so long (for me) was not having gravity on my side.  The nurse's suggestion to sit upright really was what did it for me I think, although it was much more uncomfortable than lying down or walking had been with DD#1.

Anyway, I just wanted to give some hope to those who want to avoid pain meds and have to be induced that it can happen. 

Re: Low-lying placenta/induction/pain-med free/2nd child

• Thank you for sharing!  I'm hoping for a natural delivery as well.  I like hearing successful induction stories. 
  • Thanks for sharing.  I really am glad to hear that you didn't find the contractions more painful on pitocin compared to naturally occuring.  I'm going in for induction and really want to go med free if possible, but if in the back of my mind I'm thinking "oh it's because of the pitocin that this hurts so bad" I'm much more likely to give in to pain killers... =)  This hopefully will help me keep my mental state stronger!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"