Pregnant after 35

amnio

Do you need to have CVS and an Amnio?  I was told that I will need to have all the genetic test since I am 38 and will be 39 at my delivery date.  Any veterans out there, please provide some insight?

Thanks,

Re: amnio

• I am the same age, and while they were recommended, my OB did not say they were required.

We chose to not have any genetic testing done. We decided that we were going to have the baby no matter what the test results were, that the stress of knowing there might be a problem was more than I wanted to deal with, and the stress of waiting on the results or having to have further testing was also too much for me. In addition, I did NOT feel comfortable with the risk of miscarriage associated with the CVS, as I had already had 2 miscarriages within the last year.

• imageunc2009:

Do you need to have CVS and an Amnio?  I was told that I will need to have all the genetic test since I am 38 and will be 39 at my delivery date.  Any veterans out there, please provide some insight?

Thanks,

You do not NEED to have anything done, and that includes blood work, NT scan, amnio, and CVS.  No matter what your age.  I am 36. 

If your doctor says you must and won't allow you to decline, he's trying to make more money.  Mine just had me sign something stating it was offered, and that I declined by choice, just to cover him in case I said he never offered. 

I declined the amnio and CVS.  I got the NT (extra chance to see the baby), and blood work.   I only accepted non-invasive testing. 

• Loading the player...
  • If the results of the 1st tri screening are good you don't necessarily have to do CVS/amnio according to my OB, but we chose to do the tests anyway because we wanted to know. I did amnio with my son at 37 and CVS with this pregnancy at 40. We opted for CVS this time because it is done much sooner. The amnio results come back at 17 weeks the earliest. If you decide to terminate the pregnancy at this stage it would be much harder than doing it at 11-12 weeks. If you want to keep the baby no matter what, amnio has slightly lower complications rate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Start with the NT test.  Then see what the results are.  If you have anything that is elevated for a risk of a particular illness/condition, then you can decide if you want to do a test earlier (CVS) at 11-13 weeks or if you want to wait until an amnio at 16-18 weeks.  If everything comes back as having a very low risk, then you can decide if you want to do one of the tests or none at all.

Some people will say only to have a CVS or an amnio if you plan on terminating the pregnancy if something came back as a problem.  However, there are also good reasons to have one of the tests other than deciding to terminate.  If you are the type of person that wants to know everything so you can be prepared at the birth and have the doctors prepared, then you can decide to have the test.  If you are the type that would only dwell on the negative and get upset, then don't have one of the tests.

In my experience with my own pregnancies and with my friends, no one has both the CVS and the amnio.  You opt for one or the other since they basically tell you the same thing.

Good luck with your decision.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• TluceyTlucey member
    After my NT results came back normal with 1 in 390, I still opted for the amino as I needed to know so that we can then decide either way how we were going to move forward. I wasn't worried about miscarrying, I think the risks aren't as high as most think, especially if you have a physcian whose done many of them. It was painless in my opinion and over in less than 30 seconds and we got the results back in less than 10 days.
  • I am  37 and will be 38 when I deliver.  I chose to only do the NT screening.  I was asked by my OB if I wanted to do Amnio and/or CVS.  I declined these tests because of the risks associated with them.  OB also asked me what I would do with the results, I would do nothing.  Hope this helps.
  • I was told that if I am doing the amnio I can and did forgo the cvs and nt scans/tests...I am also going to be 39 at delivery, I do have one other child, but I was happy to just do the amnio...
  • I am 38 and will be 39 when I deliver as well. My doctor just told me that I could do any of the testing I was interested in because of my age. He explained all of them, answered my questions. He didn't push or recommend any of them. DH and I decided to have the amnio. It was painless, quick and the results were back in just over a week.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • One important thing to consider....

CVS is on a limited timeline. Many practicioners will NOT do CVS before 10 weeks or after 12. I was considering CVS and was not told this. By the time I decided it was what I wanted it was too late to do.

:-/

I was going to opt for CVS as they can usually go through vaginally and it seemed less invasive than Amnio and I am RHneg so I am trying my best to avoid any possibility of blood contamination.

I will be doing amnio. Primarily because my baby's father was adopted with no records on his medical history and between that and advanced maternal age I feel it is best to be as prepared as possible. 

I too am 38 and will be a month shy of 39 when we welcome our bean into the world. 

If I can be helpful at all feel free to let me know.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"