Multiples
Options

Does each infant need it's own crib?

Dh thinks not and I think so and I just looked online and found that co-sleeping multiples is an option. What are your thoughts on this? Any suggestions on good research on what's best for the babies? Thanks!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does each infant need it's own crib?

• Options
    There is a recommendation about how long they can co-sleep.  It has to do with how much space there is for each baby in the bed.  And whether or not they're mobile.  I forget where I saw that though.
  • Options

Mine shared a crib for three months, then they outgrew it, and we moved them to their own cribs.

Our NICU recommended we NOT cosleep them, but we just put lots of space between them (they didnt' move when they were all wrapped up like this.)

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You'll find a lot of differing opinions and research on this.  I've heard that cosleeping multiples increases SIDS risks.

However, my hospital kept them in the same bassinet, and my OB also recommended it (he's the father of triplets).  We currently cosleep them in a PNP, although they'll be moving to a crib when they start sleeping a smidge longer.

• Options
    imageSoldiersGreenBean:

You'll find a lot of differing opinions and research on this.  I've heard that cosleeping multiples increases SIDS risks.

However, my hospital kept them in the same bassinet, and my OB also recommended it (he's the father of triplets).  We currently cosleep them in a PNP, although they'll be moving to a crib when they start sleeping a smidge longer.

If I remember what I read correctly, the key is to keep their faces as far apart as possible so they don't breathe in the other's exhaled carbon dioxide.  When the boys shared a crib, they were foot to foot with their heads at opposite ends of the crib.

• Options
    in the beginning perhaps each baby does not need their own crib but they will eventually so definitely buy all 3 (and score a multiples discount).  as soon as mine could move a limb, they were flailing them all night. 
  • Options

I actually ended up with 3 cribs for these 2 boys (it's a long story).

I'm planning on putting them in their own cribs when they are sleeping upstairs during the night and co sleeping them downstairs for naps, etc.  We got a PnP but I can't imagine the two of them sharing that for long.

We'll see how that works out.

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Mine shared a crib until 6m but they were swaddled and at opposite ends of the crib so things that might increase SIDS risk (like re-breathing, rolling into and muffling each other's breathing, etc.) were not an issue. The research about cosleeping with a sibling increasing SIDS risk is based on siblings of different ages so that's why you'll get different opinions on how applicable that info is to multiples. Like pp said, just make sure they're not in a position to interfere with each other's breathing.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    imagepea-kay:

Mine shared a crib for three months, then they outgrew it, and we moved them to their own cribs.

Our NICU recommended we NOT cosleep them, but we just put lots of space between them (they didnt' move when they were all wrapped up like this.)

OH, the cuteness!!!! Thanks for all the advice ladies.
  • Options

pea-kay, that picture is too cute for words!

We're planning on co-sleeping in a pack 'n play at first, then moving them to their cribs. If it works better for them to share a crib for a bit before separating them, I don't have a problem with that, either.

• Options
    I should add, once they're able to roll over/move around the crib (which can happen as early as 3-4m, some babies even younger than that manage to somehow move all around their cribs even though they're theoretically not mobile yet ;)) and NOT swaddled, I would go ahead and separate them. From what I've seen, most twins who co-sleep only do it for about 3-4 months.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    Ours needed their own crib by 5 weeks because they were moving around so much.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

We're planning to go ahead and get 3 separate cribs (for discount puposes) since they'll eventually need them anyway, and because of the SIDS risk with 3 in the same limited space.  We're expecting at least one of our three to be like our other DD's - major movers even when swaddled. 

OT:  Pea-kay - that pic is TOOOO Stinkin' CUTE!!!  OMG! Adorable!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    #6#6 member

They can co-sleep at first but eventually will need their own cribs.  I only had twins but they co slept for 9-10months.  They never bothered each other and stayed on their own side of the crib.  At first they were laying like Pea Kays pic and then we put them one on one end and one on the other with feet in the middle.  

We bought 2 cribs and when we moved to our appt we are in now we put the 2nd crib up since we had more room.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"