Orange County Babies

Child Care centers vs preschool?

My DD goes to a childcare center now (kindercare,childtime, tutortime, etc...) What is the difference between these larger centers and a preschool? I know preschools offer shorter days but is the curriculum any different?

Thanks! 

www.jojofromtheblog.com Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image

Re: Child Care centers vs preschool?

• My daughter went to Kindercare for their Preschool program, so I'm not too sure.  I don't think there's any state requirements for Preschool curriculum.  Best to call the school.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket image
  • Now this is a question I can answer ...

There's not much difference and then there's a lot of difference ...

If she is now preschool aged (2.5 years) the curriculum for preschool should change.  Many preschools do not enroll children under 2.5 years so we cater our curriculum to preschool aged children.

Preschools are more "school" atmosphere.  Classrooms, art projects, letters, numbers, fine and large motor skills, play time, etc.  There are many different methods of teaching ... play based (also called Developmentally Appropriate), Montessori, Academic, etc ... most are going to be either Developmentally Appropriate or Montessori.  You will want to research as to which you feel is a better fit for your child.

Many preschools offer both full and half day programs.  A good question to ask is if they are half day programs are the afternoons more "daycare" versus instructional.  I only offer a full day program and we do curriculum throughout the entire day, but many switch to a more daycare type situation in the afternoons.

As for the differences in the "corporate" preschools versus smaller independently owned ... as far as curriculum there probably isn't much difference.  How they go about it, the set up of the school, staff, etc .. there can be a huge difference!  We get a lot of children out of the toddler programs at KinderCare, TutorTime, ChildTime because the families are unhappy with the quality of care in the preschool.  Also, there will be company wide programs, rules, etc that you may not find in smaller schools.  From the feedback I get from parents, in the larger chain/corporate schools the individualized attention isn't always as good. 

My suggestion is to call around to a few local smaller schools and go visit.  See if you like it better than the preschool where she is currently at.

If I can be of any further help, please don't hesitate to PM for my email.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks Kali- I was hoping you'd weigh in on this one. I am going to PM you...
    www.jojofromtheblog.com Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Replied :)

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Hi there -- you seem very knowledgable in this area and I am in exactly the same dilemma. We have a 2 1/2 yr old DS whom we just pulled out of a home daycare so that we can enroll him in Tutortime. However, we went today and did a trial day with them, and I am so disappointed in what we experienced. I was NOT impressed at all with the teacher. Now I feel terrible because we are supposed to start on Monday, but now I really don't want to bring him. I am desperate to find a different place that will give him more quality care and yet stimulate him.

Any more advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

You can also email me at charlene(underscore)david@yahooDOTcom.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"