Breastfeeding

Weaning help when DS loves nursing

I want to drop a feeding but DS is acting like he's not ready. He will still nurse 6 to 7 times a day right now, it's crazy. I'd keep nursing full time if I wasn't going back to work next month, but I am and there is NO WAY I am going to pump again while at work. My plan is to keep the morning and bedtime nursings going until he's done with those, but I need to drop the other 4 over the next 4 weeks. I tried nixing the one after the afternoon nap yesterday (gave him a small bottle of bm instead, just to transition off of nursing) and he freaked out until I finally nursed him. Help? (He has no issues with bottles at all; he takes them fine from me in the evening if we bottle before bed and takes them anytime I'm gone from others.) He nurses at:

6am upon waking (going to keep this one)

10am upon waking from morning nap

1:30pm before afternoon nap

3pm upon waking from nap

5pm before dinner

7:30pm before bed (going to keep this one)

Re: Weaning help when DS loves nursing

• I have no advice except to say that I am in the EXACT same situation and at a loss for how to wean!
    www.1creativemomma.blogspot.com
  • We are still nursing 3 times per day (morning, before nap and before bed) but I've dropped 2 feedings over the past couple of months. I planned on weaning her at a year but she doesn't want to so we are still at it. I'd ideally like to drop the feeding before her nap next. I've found success with changing the routine around the time of the feeding. For example, we would sit on the couch and nurse after dinner before our evening walk. Now my DH offers her a sippy (she generally isn't interested) then we leave earlier for our walk. I don't go anywhere near the couch.

Dropping 4 feedings in 4 weeks might be rough. Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"