Pre-School and Daycare
Options

invite whole PS class to bday party? Or just friends?

This is tough! Are you inviting/did you invite all of the families from DC's pre-school class?  Or just the ones s/he's really good friends with?  This party could end up really freaking huge.  School friends plus church friends and a few random stragglers....  I'm going to go broke!  lol.

What did you do?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Lilypie - (C6hS)

Re: invite whole PS class to bday party? Or just friends?

• Options

We've invited the whole PS class for DD#1 (last year and this year) and for DD#2 (this year).

It DOES add up to a lot of kids - this year for DD#2's birthday we had 24 kids (preschool, greek class/church, mom's club, friends)! Crazy, right?

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    We just did family at her 2nd. Not sure what we will do for her 3rd. What have the other kiddos done?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's not even the kids I'm worried about.  It's all the parents.  14 kids in her class.  28 parents.  And some siblings. (Not to mention kids in the other classes she likes and everyone outside of school.)

We went to our first school-related bday party yesterday.  It seems the whole class was invited (plus parents and siblings) as well as kids from other classes.  They are new to the country, however, so they didn't have others to invite.  Just school friends.  But it was a pretty big bash.

Ugh.  I'd hate to leave some out and cause hurt feelings.  But I can't imagine feeding 70+ people.  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    We do two parties. One at home for family, close friends of ours, & DS non school friends. The second party is for his entire class, this year we did it at a gymboree type place that has a structured schedule & pricing included food etc. I can't imagine trying to entertain that many kids at home. A few of his classmates had at home parties with bounce houses etc
    Summer 2011
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers ~early M/C 4/09 ~ Ectopic 6/09~ BFP 11/09~
  • Options
    Yeah, that sounds a little overwhelming. T's 3rd (this year) was the last one I felt I could get away from hosting a bunch of PreK friends & families. Now she's started talking more and more about her friends at school so in the future I know I'll be inviting more of them. I'm thinking Pump It Up- a local place that has all bouncy things. Easy clean up!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I avoided this altogether by not having "kid" parties during the preschool years. We just celebrated with family and close friends, which was still a lot of people. My kids were so shy that neither of them really wanted a big party at age 3 or 4.  They got to have a special dessert at school, and wear a birthday crown, which was as much kid partying as they needed.

However, I've seen it done 3 ways:  invite the whole class, invite just your child's gender, or invite just a few actual friends from the class.  It's true that an "invite the whole class" party can get very big, if all the kids actually show up. 

Most schools have a policy that if you do just a few, send the invites by mail so kids aren't aware who is getting invited and who is not.  Kids will still talk about it at school, and those not invited will know that a party went on that they weren't invited to, but that's part of what they learn in the preschool years: not everyone can be invited to every party.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    imagemoroccojade:

It's not even the kids I'm worried about.  It's all the parents.  14 kids in her class.  28 parents.  And some siblings. (Not to mention kids in the other classes she likes and everyone outside of school.)

We NEVER EVER have all the parents come. And siblings are not invited unless you KNOW the family and your name is on the invite.

And most people around here have 3+ kids. There is NO WAY I'm bringing the whole family to a bday party for a kid in preschool unless we know each other very well and have been invited. I actually have 2 friends each with 3 kids the SAME ages as my 3 kids.

Do these parents and siblings just show up?

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

we did (and will continue) to have family-only parties and then a special celebration at school.

If you are intent on inviting school friends then I think you can discreetly invite only her friends.

• Options
    For both of my kids parties this year we only invited their friends.  Sorry but I would never invite the whole class.  I bring cupcakes to school on their b-day (or the Mon/Fri around it if on the weekend) and save the party for friends.  Both kids have friends from preschool plus other friends and the parties are big enough.  My younger DD invited 2 kids from preschool and neither came but my older DD invited around 5 or 6 from school and all but one came.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    Just friends.  I specifically asked the teachers who she plays with and kept tabs for about 1-2 mos to get an idea of her core group of friends.  At this age, kids are not offended by not being invited.  They don't know better.  Plus I know for DD, too many kids is very overwhelming for her.  There is a rule of thumb that you invite as many kids as your child is old.  So 3, 3 kids.  Allow for negative RSVP responses.  Don't kill yourself at this stage.  The whole class thing comes later.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    KGskyKGsky member
    Just the friends, and just the ones whose parents we were cool with.  The funny part is G is very popular with the parents and apparently G's bday party was the hot invite! LOL Who knew???  I kind of wish I had known some of them before, but I only got an opportunity to interact with certain parents at the party of someone else (who invited everyone) right before G's party.  We were limited by space this year due to low budget (baby was on the way) and needing to do it in our apt, which barely fits 10 comfortably.  I have to agree with OP, it's not so much the kids as it is for every kid there are the two parents.  12 kids = 36 people!  People with summer bdays are lucky because the backyard/park is an option.  For us, in the unpredictable spring, you can take your chances, but it's usually not going to work out...of course this year, the weather was absolutely gorgeous and unseasonably warm on April 2, and we were all crammed inside our apt....
  • Options
    We've invited the whole daycare class to the last 2 parties. There just didn't seem to be a good way to invite just a few without leaving someone out. We only had 5/15 kids actually come this year. Last year I think she had 4-5 kids from her class come as well.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"