Military Families
Options

Anyone know if Tricare covers a breast pump?

I've heard that many insurances help out with this, anyone have any success stories?

Re: Anyone know if Tricare covers a breast pump?

• Options

https://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/jsp/Medical/IsItCovered.do?kw=Breast%20Pump&x=1&y=1

They covered my pump while in the hospital, I didn't try after I was dischared.

Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I heard they do! Or they pay for some of it at least...I'm going to look up the info too. lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tricare has rented me a pump for 6 months for FREE! It's been so awesome!
  • Options
    They will only pay for a pump outright if it is deemed "medically necessary" by your doctor. You can usually rent them from the post hospital or WIC/ACS office.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    italiannvegas, do you happen to have the info for tricare renting a pump for those 6 months for free? thats awesome that they would do that!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  I'll look into the rental as well....as I'm not sure what exactly would make you qualify for a "neccessity".....
  • Options

I've heard that some hospitals will give you one if you ask and explain why you'd like it. Obviously it won't be some amazing top of the line one, but free is free right?

• Options
    I *think* it actually depends on the hospital more so then tricare but i could be wrong.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was on tricare prime and got a medela pump in style from the hospital t.p. covered the cost.
  • Options

Tricare prime covered the cost to rent a hospital grade pump for me with my twins. They were born at 36 weeks, which is not preemie, but they are considered "pre-term" up until 38 weeks. Because they were pre-term, they both had major latch issues. I needed a hospital grade pump to get my supply up to where it needed to be for twins. Normally a month rental on a hospital grade pump in the DC metro area is $80, so Tricare paying for this was a very big deal for me.

Check with your OB at the next visit if it is at a MTF, they should be able to tell you if Tricare covers the cost of hospital grade pump rentals in your area.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"