Multiples
Options

Anyone have to have iron intravenously?

I had my 26 week appointment today.  I've been anemic during my entire pregnancy and have been taking extra prescription iron twice a day.  They did another bloodtest today and I'm even more anemic then before, so they mentioned that I will likely have to take iron intravenously for 10 days.  Is anyone familiar with this and have had to do the same?  Did it help?  I'm scared because I know severe anemia is linked to pre-term labor and infant death.  

Also, at my appointment, it was noted that my blood pressure is creeping up and I've been on BP meds my entire pregnancy as I have chronic hypertension.  I'm not sure how much more they increase the meds.  Another complication to look out for and worry about as I end my second trimester.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimagemy read shelf:
Melanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Anyone have to have iron intravenously?

• Options

Hi there.. I was very anemic throughout my pregnancy with twins, and was going to see a hematologist after my 26 week appointment. However, I gave birth at 26w3d, after ignoring what I thought were iron supplement constipation cramps.

I don't say this to frighten you.. in fact, I think it's the best thing for you to get the iron intravenously. I just wanted to ask you to please not ignore any signs that you're not feeling 'right'.. even what you think are constipation or gas cramps. I'd do anything to have gone into the hospital earlier.

*hugs*

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thank you for sharing.  First, I'm so sorry about the loss of your one son and the long road it has been for your other sweet boy.  My heart aches for you.  How is Hunter doing now?

It is so hard to know when to go into the hospital versus what are normal pregnancy issues.   

I'm taking your advice to heart and will call my doc if something doesn't feel right.

Huge hugs,

Melanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Aww.. thank you so much. Hunter is doing great since we've been home. We do physical and occupational therapy in efforts to head off any possible developmental delays, and it seems to be working. :) He's the joy of our lives.

I'm so serious when I say that next time, the nurses in L&D triage will know my first name, because I'm going in with any twinge, pain, tightening.. lol. I wouldn't wish preterm labor on anyone.

Out of curiosity, since my iron is STILL low almost eight months later (and i'm taking THREE iron supps a day now!) who suggested the IV iron? Your OB or a hematologist?

• Options

I'm so glad to know that he is doing great.  I love your profile pic--what a precious little boy and adorable smile!

Were you anemic pre-pregnancy?  I've been seeing a perinatologist exclusively because I have other high risk issues (chronic HBP, AMA, etc.)  She is the one that suggested the IV iron since the two iron supps a day aren't doing anything (I can't imagine taking three!).  They drew additional blood at my appointment today and I'll find out on Monday exactly what they want to do regarding the IV iron supplements. 

• Options

It was discussed when I was pregnant. I was not anemic prepregnancy. My hemoglobin got down to around 8 by the time I was in the hospital on bedrest for PTL, around 32-34 weeks. I was taking ferrous sulfate 325 mg 3 times daily during that time and it went up a tiny bit, but nothing significant.

My OB brought it up as a potential idea and had a hematologist come see me. He said it wouldn't be worth it in my case since there are risks of anaphylaxis and it wouldn't even have time to really work before I would likely deliver the babies anyway.

My Hgb was around 9 when I delivered. I wound up having issues with retained placenta and had 2 D&C surgeries, at 1 week postpartum and 10 weeks postpartum. I bled a lot during the first one and required 2 units of blood the next day.

Iron Dextra is the name of an IV iron, if you want to research it so you can ask some questions.

• Options

I was likely a bit anemic pre-pregnancy, but hadn't had bloodwork since about a year prior to getting PG. Like the poster after me, I had issues with my placenta after delivery and had to have a D&C, but I didn't know that was possibly anemia-related. Makes sense though.

My hemoglobin was at 55 and my ferritin at a 4 two weeks before delivery.. they told me they usually transfuse an adult with hemoglobin under 85 or so. My ferritin level is now at a 5.. they would like me to be around 40 at a minimum.

Anemia sucks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"