Northern California Babies

PT-ing and Poop

Ugggh ugggh ugggh.  PT-ing went pretty well for Caden a couple months ago, but lately he has been trying to clean himself up and/ or reach back and see if s'thing is still there after pooping...  :(  He says "yucky" as he is holding his dirty hand toward me when I come in, but how do I discourage this w/ out being too harsh?   We still try to make using the potty very positive, but I can't be positive about this.  (ANd he wants privacy while he poops, so I just check on him every so often or listen to hear clues if he is done.)

Any advice?

Re: PT-ing and Poop

• It's great that he wants to inspect/clean himself, but not so great to touch poop.

"Thank you so much for trying to clean yourself buddy.  Looks like we need more practice.  Only touch your bum with the TP, okay?  Poop on your hands is yucky.  Now, lets rub & scrub really good!"

I know it's totally gross, but I really think all he needs is a lot more practice & maybe a final inspection by Mom or Dad.

• imageSmuches4u:

It's great that he wants to inspect/clean himself, but not so great to touch poop.

"Thank you so much for trying to clean yourself buddy.  Looks like we need more practice.  Only touch your bum with the TP, okay?  Poop on your hands is yucky.  Now, lets rub & scrub really good!"

I know it's totally gross, but I really think all he needs is a lot more practice & maybe a final inspection by Mom or Dad.

I agree, you can say this in a way that's not positive yet not negative either, just a simple fact.  Maybe get him some of the flushable wipes?  We got the ones they make for adults, waaaay cheaper than the "special" kids ones.  Also showing Andrew how much TP he needed helped.  At first I would take off what he needed and give it to him with the rest of the TP out of reach, then when I came in I'd do my check and finish what was needed.  We just did a lot of poop on your hands is yucky.

• Loading the player...
  • Ugh.  No advice just lots of sympathy b/c I'm sure we'll be there soon.  My response would probably be something like what was suggested... with my own special twist on it.  So it would go something like this:

"OMIGOD, WHAT THE FFFF....Umm... Okay, well good for you, dude, for trying to wipe but...SWEET MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS HOLY W-- I mean, we'll need to work on that, won't we?  B/c poop on your hands kind of makes Mommy lose her mind and seriously, dude, I'm about this close to climbing the freaking walls so... uh, let's just clean our hands now, 'kay?  No, Mommy's not crying.  She's just so FREAKING HAPPY that you're so independent.  Yup, it's really a good thing...  WHERE THE HE!! IS YOUR FATHER?!??" 

So... you may want to edit that a little to suit your own style.  I notice, for example that you don't really call C "dude" so... you'll want to change things up a bit.  It's up to you. 

• Oh Mrs_Shmoopie!  That is heading to my personal Bump Post Hall of Fame!!  The DH and I are cracking up over here ;-)

Oh, and no advice for you Kellina, but the flushable wipes sound like a really good way to go (pun intended).

• Sol- I LOOOOVE your advice!  :)  You actually sounded like my mind in many ways.  You are hilarious!   Thanks for the laugh.  (You made Dave laugh so hard he cried, as I had to have him read it!)

J & J- thank you SO much for your input!!  I followed your advice this afternoon.  I put out some TP for him to use and he did use it instead of pulling his own!  Yaaaaay!  We do have flushable wet wipes as well.  So hopefully this stage will pass soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"