Infertility

where do you store ivf meds?

Lupron says below 77 degrees. - Easy, I can put this in my fridge.

Gonal-f says between 36-46 degrees until expiration date, or between 68-77 degrees for up to three months. - How cold is my fridge?  Is it colder than 36 degrees?

Menopur says between 37-77 degrees.  - Same issue as Gonal-f

HCG (trigger) says between 68-77 degrees and refrigerate after reconstitution. - I know my fridge is colder than 68 (duh) and I don't reconstitute until right before I use it. 

We have window air conditioner units, but sometimes it is on low or not on at all to save electricity.  Should I just leave everything out and make sure that my air conditioning is always on, or should I put everything in the fridge?  What about the HCG?  It says between 68-77.   

Why does it have to be so difficult and confusing?  Maybe I am just feeling overwhelmed and I am overreacting (I thought it would be less intimidating the second time around, I was wrong). 

Re: where do you store ivf meds?

• Lupron and Gonal F - in the refrigerator

PIO - in the medicine cabinet

HCG trigger - in the medicine cabinet if it has not been mixed yet. (The powder and the saline don't need to be refrigerated. But after it's mixed I think it does. We do the shot right after mixing so it's never a problem.)

GL :) 

Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Lupron/Gonal-f ~ refrigerator

Menopur ~ is it already mixed?  Mine I had to mix myself, so I just kept the powder and liquid vials in the tupperware containers I used for my meds

HCG ~ again, already mixed?  Mine wasn't, so again, in tupperware containers.

I sometimes kept things in my closet as that was a cooler, darker place than out in the open.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    3 IUI's, 2 IVF's , 1 FET , 1 IVF w/ Gestational Carrier, and 1 FET using adopted embryo's = ALL BFNs
    We are adopting!

SAIF/PAIF IS ALWAYS WELCOMED TO POST IN MY POSTS!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have taken Lupron, Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, HCG and PIO.  The only one I store in the fridge is Follistim.  It is the only one that comes on ice when shipped.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lupron in frig.

Gonal-f in frig.

Menopur in a closet

Trigger in closet

Anything in powder form is usually stable at room temp.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I also store Menopur at room temperature.
  • I had mine all in the refrigerator. It didn't all have to be refrigerated but I kept it all there to keep it all together and out of sight.  Just as a reference point freezing is 32 or below so your fridge should not be any colder than that or it would be freezing things.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • CMH25CMH25 member

Thanks everyone.  I guess I'm confused because room temperature is under 77degrees.  I'm concerned because it is summer time and my house can get higher than that at times.  Should I not be so concerned?

• Interesting.  My gonal F says to refrigerate after reconstitution so I haven't been putting in there prior.  Nothing came on ice in the mail.  I'm going to check the literature with it again.
  • imageCMH25:

Thanks everyone.  I guess I'm confused because room temperature is under 77degrees.  I'm concerned because it is summer time and my house can get higher than that at times.  Should I not be so concerned?

I asked this of my nurse, and as long as it's not scorching hot (like in a car parked in the sun, hot) it's ok at room temp on hot days for short periods of time, but try to keep them in the coolest part of you home.

I'd call your office or your pharmacy for their advice if you're concerned.

GL

+++
  • I was told that I did not need to refrigerate any of the meds except Lupron.  I am keeping my meds in our bathroom this time...last time they were on my kitchen counter and Lupron was in the fridge, so it made it easier to do everything there.
  • Lupron, Ovidrel, and Follistim - Fridge

(Ovidrel and Follistim came packed on ice.  Lupron went in fridge after first use)

Menopur - tupperware container on kitchen counter

TTC since 5/08
    12/08 DX - irregular cycles - unexplained IF
    2/09 - 4/09 - Clomid, TI
    5/09 - 12/09 - 4 IUI
    3/10 - 7/10 - 2 IVF
    11/10 - Frozen Transfer
    3/11 - Dx Insulin Resistant & Hypoglycemic - treating w/ Metformin & diet
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"