Baby Showers

bring a book instead of card wording?

I thought there was  a sentence or poem that requests a book instead of a card...anyone know the wording...

Thanks.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: bring a book instead of card wording?

• No cards--Books only!

kthxbai 

• Here is a cute one:

From Peter Rabbit to Mother Goose

Good Night Moon and Dr. Seuss

Curious Gearoge and Winnie the Pooh

Eloise and Babar, too.

In lieu of a card, please bring

your favorite childhood classic.

Let's build a library for baby "your last name"

that will be fantastic!

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • The verses can be put on a small piece of cardstock and added it with the registry cards. A friend of mine used the wording below at her shower about 4 years ago & I absolutely loved the idea - I just asked her about it last week, so I figured I would share. 

I want to be a bright child
    As smart as I can be.
    That is why I'm hoping
    My mommy & daddy will read to me.
    If you plan to bring a card
    Please take another look,
    I would like to learn my ABC's
    From your favorite storybook.
    Please sign your name
    As your personal touch.
    Baby ________ thanks you
      So very much.

Or replace the last paragraph with the following:

Please add your name and a note
    Then I'll know you've done your part.
    Some day I'll surely thank you
    From the bottom of my heart.

OR here is another:

Although cards are nice
    They're read once or twice
    Maybe three or four times at best
    A book is a treasure
    Forever and Forever
    So instead of a card
    To be put aside
    Please give the little baby
    A book with your name inside
    It will be read to our little tyke
    Before bed each night
    And we will thank you
    Forever and Forever!

• imagegeorgyb80:

Or replace the last paragraph with the following:

Please add your name and a note
    Then I'll know you've done your part.
    Some day I'll surely thank you
    From the bottom of my heart.

The bolded part of this really rubs me the wrong way. It makes it seem like a mandatory responsibility and that if someone doesn't participate, it will look like they didn't "do their part."

(aside from that I think the demanding the book instead of card thing is tacky and annoying anyway...) 

• On one hand I think the bring a book idea is cute, but on the other, it is basically asking for 2 gifts. And there is a good chance you end up with several of the same books that are all written in so you can't take them back to get something different.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am giving my niece a shower for her first child after he is born  & since she has had one shower - there literally is nothing that anyone can give them that has not been or will be provided for this baby.

I wanted to give a Book Shower with the book as the gift and not the card. For this group of people, cost of gift could be a factor & books seemed a way for a large price range to choose  This would not be asking for 2 gifts, just something that can always be treasured. Even multiple copies are useful for traveling & at grandparents' house. I was even going to include bookplates if people chose the add a note or they would be available at the shower. Any thoughts & wording on this?

• imagehollyr49:

I am giving my niece a shower for her first child after he is born  & since she has had one shower - there literally is nothing that anyone can give them that has not been or will be provided for this baby.

I wanted to give a Book Shower with the book as the gift and not the card. For this group of people, cost of gift could be a factor & books seemed a way for a large price range to choose  This would not be asking for 2 gifts, just something that can always be treasured. Even multiple copies are useful for traveling & at grandparents' house. I was even going to include bookplates if people chose the add a note or they would be available at the shower. Any thoughts & wording on this?

Yeah, you are still dictating to them what to bring, as opposed to a registry. A registry is not mandatory. These books are mandatory and that makes this idea very tacky. Some people above gave you some ideas, though, if you are dead set on demanding specific gifts from people.

Question, if she already had a shower how come you are giving her another one?

"there literally is nothing that anyone can give them that has not been or will be provided for this baby."

Then why are you throwing her a shower?

Go with her to get a library card. Then she'll have all the books she wants. That's my advice.

White Knot
  • We played with some wording for a while on this one. I loved the book idea, but also didn't want it to sound like people had to bring something. We came up with this:

If you would like, in lieu of a
    card for baby and mother,
    please bring a child?s book
    with your thoughts in the cover.

• ctanactana member
    imageSimply Fated:
    imagehollyr49:

I am giving my niece a shower for her first child after he is born  & since she has had one shower - there literally is nothing that anyone can give them that has not been or will be provided for this baby.

Yeah, you are still dictating to them what to bring, as opposed to a registry. A registry is not mandatory. These books are mandatory and that makes this idea very tacky. Some people above gave you some ideas, though, if you are dead set on demanding specific gifts from people.

Question, if she already had a shower how come you are giving her another one?

"there literally is nothing that anyone can give them that has not been or will be provided for this baby."

Then why are you throwing her a shower?

Go with her to get a library card. Then she'll have all the books she wants. That's my advice.

Seems like a lot of trouble to get some books for someone.

Love the library idea. Love the lesson it teaches in recycle and reuse, too. 

The other idea I loved is yard sale book purchases. I love knowing that I'm buying a book another child has grown up with for my own child. There is a lesson in that.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSimply Fated:
    imagehollyr49:

I don't think adding the book poem to an invite is "dictating."  It's merely a suggestion just like the non-mandatory registry...people will buy whatever they want anyway and if they don't want to buy a book they won't.  Cards are such a waste of money and although a book is more expensive, it's something that will be kept and used over and over. Heck, they can choose between a book OR something from the registry - no one said they have to get both. I think it's a great idea.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"