2nd Trimester

Finally got out our MOLDY infant car seat (yikes!)

We got a peg perego infant car seat for DS 3 years ago.  when he outgrew it i put it in a plastic trash bag and stored it in the basement, behind the furnace.  about a year ago when we were just TTC i took a peak at it and found it was covered in mold!  i just put it back and didn't want to deal with it.  

well, now is the time to deal with it.  i know a lot of people would probably just buy a new one (which i very well may have to do).  it wasn't a cheap car seat and frankly, now that i'm a SAHM, we just don't have tons of extra cash.  so, i'm going to give it a shot and try cleaning it.  any ideas?!!  tonight i battled taking it completely apart so that tomorrow i can begin soaking/scrubbing .... repeat x 10.  the straps seem to have the most mold on them.

who knows.......i'll just give it a shot.   strangely enough, i've never seen any mold in our basement before on anything!  it had to be a baby seat!

Re: Finally got out our MOLDY infant car seat (yikes!)

• I'm totally with you on the SAHM frugal thing, but knowing that the straps are moldy worries me. Unfortunately that's the most important part of the seat. I think you should get a new one. Tongue Tied
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good luck getting rid of all of the mold!

I googled replacement car seat straps and apparently its pretty easy and inexpensive to do. I might try that. 

https://www.ehow.com/how_5249085_order-replacement-straps-car-seat.html

• Loading the player...
  • Could you get replacement parts from the company? It should be less than buying a whole new seat. Honestly my experience with mold hasn't been very good, so I don't know how well you will be able to clean the straps in particular. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Babywearing, cloth diapering, formula and breastmilk feeding, still can't believe I'm a mom, momma to my little man, two furbabies, and two angel babies.
  • Mold is something you dont want to mess with.  But if you are wanting to try they make a mold killer for bathrooms you might want to try soaking the straps in that!  GL
  • Since you CANT soak the straps or clean them with anything but a mild cleaner.  I would replace it.  I would also replace the cover.  I dont mess with mold and fabric.  But it will cost you because its a peg perego.  I have the high chair and they wanted I think $50-$60 for a new cover for that I can only think if what they want for the cover and straps for the car seat.  You can get a new sungride for $80-$100 so I would not spend to much on a new cover and straps.  Its also not safe to buy a cover from anyone else but peg perego or a cover from one of their car seats (it must be made by peg not a home made cover) you should really get them from peg them self.
  • I think you should get a different one. Mold really can be dangerous and it is SO hard to get it to go away completely. 

Just think of what has to be done in a house when mold invades....all of the drywall and whatnot has to be torn out because cleaning it is just too difficult and often ineffective. 

Good luck trying though! Maybe call a mold restoration place and ask? They're used to cleaning carpets and whatnot in moldy basements....and they probably have slightly more experience. :)  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If you don't want to spend the money on a brand new one, why don't you see if you can get a good used one from ebay or Craigs list?

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagemaryellen21:
    If you don't want to spend the money on a brand new one, why don't you see if you can get a good used one from ebay or Craigs list?

Useing second hand car seats is not reccomended.  You don't know for a fact that the car seat has never been in a car accident or has been properly taken care of.  that said,  I would buy a new one.  Even if you get the car seat sparkling, there is still mold residue left behind in the cloth.  This can be extremely dangerous - certain kinds of mold can kill people and it wouldn't be healthy for the baby.   I understand being fruggel but there are times when safety is more important.  This is one of them.

• I think that in the case of mold you can never be to careful. Cut your losses and buy a new one.
  • imagemaryellen21:
    If you don't want to spend the money on a brand new one, why don't you see if you can get a good used one from ebay or Craigs list?

I wouldn't buy a used car seat,  especially not from a person I don't know.

I would cut your losses and just buy a new infant seat, there are several options available for under $100

• I get wanting to save $$ but a carseat is the last place to be frugal.  There are some great infant seats on the market that are inexpensive and very well rated.  The regular Graco Snugride can be found on sale for less then $100.

If the straps are/were moldy their strength is likely compromised.  Not to even begin to get into the health risks of your children sitting in mold residue.  As someone who is allergic to most molds, please don't risk it!!

• Can't you take off the fabric cover and clean it?  Maybe you should soak it in something, then scrub it, and then throw it in the washing machine.  Maybe you can somehow soak the straps in bleach if you can remove them from any fabric.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mold is kind of dangerous, I think I would try to get replacement parts or  a new car seat, but I understand your frustration because its hard on a tight budget. At least try the replacement parts.
  • I am super thrifty and hate waste, so give it a good try. But, be prepared to trash it. First off, bleach does not kill mold on permeable surfaces, so a mixture of soap, vinegar, and borax are your best bet on fabric. That said, mold stains. So, even if you remove the actual mold, the staining may remain. That mixture will also work on the plastic and metal parts, but you could use bleach on those if desired (though personally I hate bleach). I agree with PP that the integrity of the straps may be damaged. I would replace those if the mold seems pervasive. If you've got small spots of mold here and there all over the thing, I would clean it. If covered with mold, like in a layer--proceed with caution. Also, when dealing with mold you need proper wear: a face mask, gloves, clothes that cover your skin, etc.
  • Coming from someone with a severe allergy to mold, nothing will clean it good enough, it has to be replaced.  What if your baby has a bad allergy?  It would be a much bigger problem for a baby with no immune system than it is for me, and my throat swells closed.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I hear you on the short on extra money, but baby's safety comes first. I wouldn't mess with it and would save up for a new one. Especially the straps, if they touch those all the time....ick! But good luck if you do and be careful yourself since you're carrying a baby
  • I'm voting on getting a new one. All car seats comply with current safety standards regardless of their price, so you can get one without the bells and whistles for relatively cheap.

I wouldn't mess with mold -- particularly with a non-existent infant immune system.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemorgansfollower:
    I think that in the case of mold you can never be to careful. Cut your losses and buy a new one.

This exactly. I would not risk it!

• I'd get a new one.  Mold can be very dangerous to little lungs. 

I've posted this before, but there are these sales all over the country - kind of like a HUGE garage sale, only everything is checked first and only nice things are taken.  Carseats are checked for recalls, must be less than two years old, and the owner signs a waiver saying it's never been in a wreck of any kind.  You might check and see if there's one in your area.  It's a great place for baby/kid stuff!  See link.

https://www.jbfsale.com/default.cfm

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • As of last night, I hadn't thought about buying replacement parts, but I will look into it, just to know all my options. (PS - the straps do come off and are a separate piece to order).

I agree, that mold is hard to completely get rid of and there's no living thing out there more vulnerable than a little newborn baby.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"