High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Reaction at injection sites....

For any of the women on insulin for Type 1 or Gestational Diabetes, has anyone had a reaction at the injections site(s).  I woke up late last night with a giant welt about the size of a grapefruit on my thigh.  Is this normal?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Reaction at injection sites....

• Options
    MrsAJLMrsAJL member

I have Type 2 and I take MDI insulin injections (Just FYI that GD and T1 aren't the only ones on insulin).  I have a lump on my stomach from an injection.  I haven't experienced a welt, but I've read that it's not unusual to have a reaction to insulin.  If it's really bothersome or doesn't go away in a couple of days, call your endo and see what they recommend.

• Options
    Thanks for the reminder about Type 2 as well.  I forgot about that as both my great-grandmother and grandmother are Type 2. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsAJLMrsAJL member

imagenoxie52:
    Thanks for the reminder about Type 2 as well.  I forgot about that as both my great-grandmother and grandmother are Type 2. 

No worries.

• Options

I have been experiencing redness/welts around my injection sites.  They appear to go away after a few days. I have an appointment at my endocrinologist's office on Wednesday so I am going to ask.  I will try and remember to come back on and let you know what she says. I did read that some people experience localized allergies to the insulin at the injection site but it usually goes away.

Good Luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageYankeesgirl07:

I have been experiencing redness/welts around my injection sites.  They appear to go away after a few days. I have an appointment at my endocrinologist's office on Wednesday so I am going to ask.  I will try and remember to come back on and let you know what she says. I did read that some people experience localized allergies to the insulin at the injection site but it usually goes away.

Good Luck.

I turn in my numbers today and I will note it on my sheet.  If they say anything, I will let you know.  If not, I am curious to see what the endo will say.  Thanks!

• Options
    I've often wondered that myself, I get welts sometimes, and i bruise all the time, my stomach looks polka dotted with bruises, they don't hurt just hurtful to look at.  my DH says someone is going to think i he beats on me!  everytime i go to the OB or have an US i feel like i have to explain the bruises.  Maybe i should start making patterns. . . Tongue Tied
  • Options

Are you on alot more insulin than pre-pregnancy?I noticed before I went on the pump that I was always getting marks that were really large from injections.Doc said the more insulin you use,the more likely there will be a visible pool under the skin.

Also,do you inject it cold?I've heard this causes more reactions.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• Options
    imagestarrkitten89:

Are you on alot more insulin than pre-pregnancy?I noticed before I went on the pump that I was always getting marks that were really large from injections.Doc said the more insulin you use,the more likely there will be a visible pool under the skin.

Also,do you inject it cold?I've heard this causes more reactions.

I am just GD, but could not do the oral medications because I had every side effect listed for metformin and glyburide. I give myself 3-4 shots per day.  My biggest shot is in the morning and is a combo of 18u of humulin R and N.  I used to just give myself two shots (it is the morning and I am groggy), but lately I have been mixing the two per my OB and diabetic counselor.  Is 18u a lot of insulin for one shot? 

• Options

That's not too large considering you are taking 2 different types of insulin.Do you spread your injection sites a few inches apart?Sometimes that helps too-if they are too close together they can get irritated.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• Options

I spoke to the endocrinologist today and she told me there could be a variety of reasons why there is a reaction at the injection sites.  I tend to get redness and some welts at times when I inject.  She said this could be due to the amount of insulin I have to inject (100 units at night), the temperature of the insulin if it is cold, the number of veins in the area, the length of the needle (I use short needles), or a slight allergic reaction to the insulin if it touches my skin on the outside.  She has suggested I inject in other areas of the body to see if that helps and since I am most likely moving to the pen form instead of syringe, taking my dosage in two injections may also help. The pen only allows you to inject 60 units at a time (at least the one I would get) and so I will have to inject twice at night in order to get to 100 units.

She said it is important not to bleed or bruise so make sure you are careful about where you are injecting so you don't hit a vein or vessel.  I hope this helps. 

• Options
    imageYankeesgirl07:

I spoke to the endocrinologist today and she told me there could be a variety of reasons why there is a reaction at the injection sites.  I tend to get redness and some welts at times when I inject.  She said this could be due to the amount of insulin I have to inject (100 units at night), the temperature of the insulin if it is cold, the number of veins in the area, the length of the needle (I use short needles), or a slight allergic reaction to the insulin if it touches my skin on the outside.  She has suggested I inject in other areas of the body to see if that helps and since I am most likely moving to the pen form instead of syringe, taking my dosage in two injections may also help. The pen only allows you to inject 60 units at a time (at least the one I would get) and so I will have to inject twice at night in order to get to 100 units.

She said it is important not to bleed or bruise so make sure you are careful about where you are injecting so you don't hit a vein or vessel.  I hope this helps. 

Thanks!  I switched my injection from my thigh back to my side tonight.  We will see if that helps. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"