Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Play yard Question: Chicco vs Graco

This is probably better on the nursery/baby gear board, but I'm checking in here first.  I registered for the Chicco play yard, but just read some reviews on BRU about it.  While most are good reviews, it's saying that you can't use regular sheets on the mattress; you can't use the mobile with sheets; you can't use the changer & the bassinet together; and that it's heavy (but it does have wheels).  I thought I was fairly certain that Chicco is the one I'd go with, but now, I'm having second thoughts. 

If you've already purchased your play yard (or had it given to you) what is your take?  Which is better and why? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Play yard Question: Chicco vs Graco

• Options

I just set up my Chicco, so I'll give you my 2 cents:

You can't use regular sheets because of the size, but I'm guessing that would be the same for any pack-n-play.

You can use the mobile with a sheet, you just have to work the velcro in that holds the mobile under the sheet corner a bit.

You can definitely use the changer and bassinet together, but you would have to take the mobile off.

It is heavy but I haven't compared it to others so I doubt it's that much heavier.

After putting this beast together yesterday, I realized that I would probably not ever leave baby to sleep in it unattended, at least in the bassinet part. I think it will be great for diaper changing and napping while I'm close by, and for later months when he can sleep in the bottom part, but as it is now the bassinet doesn't seem that safe and stable.

BFP #1- 1/16/09- Baby Ava stillborn at 32 weeks, possible cord accident, 7/30/09
    BFP #2- 1/5/10- Baby Jack born at 37w2d, 6lbs 13 oz, 8/24/10
    BFP #3- 7/30/11- Baby Boy Due April 3, 2012
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I went with the Graco one - one for our house, one for my parents' house. I think it got better reviews in Baby Bargains, there were more to choose from, and all of my friends have and recommend them. The Chicco ones seem so much bigger and bulkier.
    My Cooking Blog

Avery Corinne - Born 7/9/10 at 37w2d
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesydney0928:

You can't use regular sheets because of the size, but I'm guessing that would be the same for any pack-n-play.

You can use the mobile with a sheet, you just have to work the velcro in that holds the mobile under the sheet corner a bit.

You can definitely use the changer and bassinet together, but you would have to take the mobile off.

It is heavy but I haven't compared it to others so I doubt it's that much heavier.

After putting this beast together yesterday, I realized that I would probably not ever leave baby to sleep in it unattended, at least in the bassinet part. I think it will be great for diaper changing and napping while I'm close by, and for later months when he can sleep in the bottom part, but as it is now the bassinet doesn't seem that safe and stable.

But can you use regular play yard sheets?  I registered for some super soft quilted Eddie Bauer (@ target) play yard sheets and also Carter's sheets for a play yard at BRU.  Those will or will not fit? 

• Options

imageMaryEllen:
    I went with the Graco one - one for our house, one for my parents' house. I think it got better reviews in Baby Bargains, there were more to choose from, and all of my friends have and recommend them. The Chicco ones seem so much bigger and bulkier.

Holy moly...24 days left, MaryEllen!!  So exciting!  Which Graco did you end up with in the end?  I want to look it up.  My concern is that there's a small possibility that work will be gifting this to me (it's one of the few "big" items that I have left).  If that's a possibility I want to make sure I'm sure of what I want in the next few days.  I wouldn't want to return a work gift. 

• Options
    imagepapetvet:
    imagesydney0928:

But can you use regular play yard sheets?  I registered for some super soft quilted Eddie Bauer (@ target) play yard sheets and also Carter's sheets for a play yard at BRU.  Those will or will not fit? 

Yep I bought some organic cotton ones at sheetworld.com and they fit fine. The mattress is really thin so I think you just have to tuck them under really well.

BFP #1- 1/16/09- Baby Ava stillborn at 32 weeks, possible cord accident, 7/30/09
    BFP #2- 1/5/10- Baby Jack born at 37w2d, 6lbs 13 oz, 8/24/10
    BFP #3- 7/30/11- Baby Boy Due April 3, 2012
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We have the Chicco and still use it when we are on the go now.

- you can use regular PNP sheets (ours are the Graco sheets); you cannot use regular crib sheets, but crib sheets wouldn't fit ANY play yard anyhow.

- the mobile/play bar snaps onto the mattress (which is somewhat difficult to do), so with any kind of sheet you cannot access the snaps to attach it. We never used the activity bars and it didn't matter to us.

- you can use the changer and the bassinet at the same time; we used it this way in our bedroom as a bassinet for the first 3 months of his life and it was our changing station, too.

- I don't think it's any heavier than other play yards, but I have no experience with this. It's certainly not something that I have trouble with, even being pg. Our stroller is more difficult to get in and out of the car, and it weighs about 20-22 lb. I'd guess the play yard might weigh more, but it's compact so it's very easy to pack and move.

I love our play yard and it seems really well made. Like I said, we still use it today and take it on trips for hotels and stuff. It's where he sleeps anytime we go somewhere and we occasionally use it at home for play, though this is a lot less often now that he's older. I think once the safety isn't an issue (all play yards meet standards, not recalled, etc.) the choice of play yard is pretty much personal preference...and they might all be about the same.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"