Military Families

PT Test after Birth

Hi Everyone,

I am in the USAR. I love being in the Army...right now I am 11 weeks pregnant...and as my neausa is starting to subside I want to begin exercising again, especially since I know I will have to take a PT test soon sfter birth. I don't want to get too out of shape and struggle getting back to where I need to be. This is my first pregnancy so I'm not sure what is safe to do and what isn't. Is ok to run??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PT Test after Birth

• You should talk to your doctor about what exercises and the intensity level that are safe during pregnancy.
  • How soon after birth are they going to make you do a PT test? Won't you be on leave for awhile?
  • Loading the player...
  • Generally it's fine to maintain the same level of physical activity you were used to before the BFP, but check with your doctor to be sure. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Personally I'm not planning on being on leave for too long..I'm not sure about the regulations and if I have to take a certain amount of time...but I want to get back ASAP. I also want to take a PT test as soon as I know I can pass for promotion purposes. I am a reservist so I will have time with my family, and my fiance being in the military as well understands how I feel. That's why I was hoping that are other military moms out there that could give me some PT advice... Big Smile Thanks

• Definatly ask your doctor, but mine gave me all access to anything I wanted to do, as long as my heart rate doesnt get too high and I stop if I get light headed.  I was able to run until about 19 weeks when it started getting uncomfortable... I had been doing spin classes prior but gave those up because I didnt want my heart rate to get too high.      I am now 21 weeks and am getting to the point that situps are hard... I work with a trainer so she has showed me modified situps on the Bosu ball that help ALOT.  She is trying to keep my core strength up so that labor, delivery and recovery are easier.  U can msg me if you have any other questions, I love my trainer and she is definatly a huge help :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • You can do the same level of PT that you did during pregnancy. You can also hit up the army for the PPP-PT program.

You should not workout for 6 weeks following the birth of your child. You will not be required to take an APFT until 6 months after the baby is born (vaginal or c-section). That "should be" your diagnostic followed by a Record within 2 months of that. If you have not shown progress or passed an APFT within a year of having the baby the USAR can begin admin sep procedures.

You are still eligible for promotion throughout your pregnancy, and are exempt from any ranges. You do however have to attend drill unless you are put on bedrest by your OB/GYN. Your unit will also need to complete a counseling.

• In the AF we are on profile for 6 months after delivery, which gives you plenty of time to get ready for your PT test.  Is it not the same in the AR?  There also should be a prenatal exercise class offered that demonstrates modified methods safe for pregnancy.  You should be fine to run, just clear it with your dr as long as you have been running for a substantial amount of time before you got pg.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagetrudyanndac:

Personally I'm not planning on being on leave for too long..I'm not sure about the regulations and if I have to take a certain amount of time...but I want to get back ASAP. I also want to take a PT test as soon as I know I can pass for promotion purposes. I am a reservist so I will have time with my family, and my fiance being in the military as well understands how I feel. That's why I was hoping that are other military moms out there that could give me some PT advice... Big Smile Thanks

You have 6wks of mando leave when you have your baby, sorry. It's not a 'I only want to be gone for 3 weeks' deal, you can't come back before 6wks. You also can only do a PT test when you're 6 mo post-partum. If you happen to miss your PT test by a month, they'll make you wait til the next test. 

As far as running, it IS fine but it may make you want to vomit (all the motion) and when your belly gets bigger, running may make your belly get really sore with all the up-down-up-down. Water aerobics are a great exercise, I did that while PG in the Navy and it makes you SWEAT with the weights on your ankles and chest! But you're weightless in the water, so you don't feel pg for the time being.

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • Ask your doctor about the activity.  I am in USAR too and had DD in November.  I was on leave for 45 days (6 weeks post partum) before I needed to drill again.  You get 6 months from your clearing date to have to pass your PT test again. 
  • Hey,

I am pregnant and active duty army. I know that for me I get at least 45 days convalescent leave after birth and per the regulation I get 6 months after my baby is born to prepare for a PT Test. The army has a good pregnancy PT program that you can google. Its a reg with all the info you need and some easy exercises and stretches. Also you should enroll in the remote PPT (pregnancy PT) program and they will send you work out DVDs with exercises appropriate for pregnancy.  If you're seening an OB/GYN at a MTF then they should be able to provide all of that to you.

Good luck!

B

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told no PT until 90 days after birth. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"