2nd Trimester
Options

Weight Gain question - trying not to be that annoying person though

Trying not to be one of those annoying posts (I'm gaining too much weight!  Oh no, I rolled onto my stomach last night is my baby okay?, Cramp after s.e.x. did we poke the baby?, my test said positive but could I really be pregnant???,  etc etc) but I have a question about weight gain that I've been having trouble finding an answer to on google.

My Dr. wants me to only gain 10 more pounds from here until the end of my pregnancy.  I have been trying to be healthy (after I fell of the wagon for 4 weeks, ate everything in sight and gained 7 pounds).  Working out 3 times a week (walking another 1.5 mile a day to and from work), and eating 2000 calories of mostly healthy food per day. Over the last 2 weeks since my "binge" i guess  you could call it,  I only gained maybe .5 pounds by eating well and working out.  But in the past 5 days, with the same workout and the same eating pattern I gained 3.5 pounds.  I'm thinking it's normal and may be water retention but I'm not sure.  Is this normal to yo-yo like this during pregnancy, whether it be actual weight gain or water weight?  Any one else expereince weight gain of almost nothing one week and then 3-4 pounds the next?  I know a steady gain is supposed to be healthiest so just wanted to check in with others.  (I'm trying to drink tons of water today to see if it will help with the water retention.) If it's not water retention then I'm really not sure what it could be, of course the baby is growing but not 3 pounds worth...  I'm trying not to stress over it though.  :)

THANKS!

Re: Weight Gain question - trying not to be that annoying person though

• Options

I gain in spurts.  I have been the same wait for 2 weeks now, and I am sure right before my next appointment, I will shoot up 2-3 pounds.  That's the way it has been working so far. I stay the same for 2-3 weeks, then I wake up one morning, have done nothing differently and BAM, up 2 pounds.

I wouldn't worry about it.  You are being health and that is what matters.  At this point, you are going to gain what you are going to gain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Even before I was pregnant, my weight could easily fluctuate by 5 pounds or more from one day to the next. One night out eating salty food at a Mexican restaurant could do it. Or if I've been backed up for a couple days and finally get some relief, I could lose a few pounds in a few hours. There are so many factors contributing to weight. If you really want to lose some water, try eliminating carbs for a day or two.

10 pounds for the next 23 weeks? Good luck with that!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been reading it's pretty normal, but I don't know if the crying about it was normal.  My poor husband came home to me crying and thought something bad happened...Only for me to start blabbering and sobbing about my weight.  :) 

Yep, 10 pounds for the REST OF MY PREGNANCY!  That would make it around a 20 pound gain, since I was over weight to begin with.  I almost laughed in her face.  At least she was very nice about it and not mean at all.  I'm just not even going to look at the scale anymore.  It's worth it, I have a baby inside me and I'm being healthy so if I need to gain that much then fine. 

I will say it is trippy though.  Before being pregnant I lost 50 pounds and now to see it increasing and having no control over it just trips me out.  AGH.  lol. I just need to get over it.

• Options
    rg8482rg8482 member
    imagetiffanyp:

Even before I was pregnant, my weight could easily fluctuate by 5 pounds or more from one day to the next. One night out eating salty food at a Mexican restaurant could do it. Or if I've been backed up for a couple days and finally get some relief, I could lose a few pounds in a few hours. There are so many factors contributing to weight. If you really want to lose some water, try eliminating carbs for a day or two.

I agree with all of this.  There are so many things that contribute to weight gain, but try not to worry as you are growing a cute little baby!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Growth spurts are totally normal and totally frustrating.  Especially when you are doing everything you are suppose to do.  My last pregnancy my biggest growth spurt was 6lbs in 2 weeks!!!!  I was floored and felt horrible!  But there was nothing I did or didn't do in order for those 6lbs to be gained.  It just happened.

And I think only gaining 10lbs in 23 weeks is totally unreasonable.  Especially since in the 3rd Tri you normally gain about 1lb a week.  Good luck though.  Sounds like you are trying to be healthy and that's all you can do. :)

• Options
    imageeileen12183:

Trying not to be one of those annoying posts (I'm gaining too much weight!  Oh no, I rolled onto my stomach last night is my baby okay?, Cramp after s.e.x. did we poke the baby?, my test said positive but could I really be pregnant???,  etc etc) but I have a question about weight gain that I've been having trouble finding an answer to on google.

My Dr. wants me to only gain 10 more pounds from here until the end of my pregnancy.  I have been trying to be healthy (after I fell of the wagon for 4 weeks, ate everything in sight and gained 7 pounds).  Working out 3 times a week (walking another 1.5 mile a day to and from work), and eating 2000 calories of mostly healthy food per day. Over the last 2 weeks since my "binge" i guess  you could call it,  I only gained maybe .5 pounds by eating well and working out.  But in the past 5 days, with the same workout and the same eating pattern I gained 3.5 pounds.  I'm thinking it's normal and may be water retention but I'm not sure.  Is this normal to yo-yo like this during pregnancy, whether it be actual weight gain or water weight?  Any one else expereince weight gain of almost nothing one week and then 3-4 pounds the next?  I know a steady gain is supposed to be healthiest so just wanted to check in with others.  (I'm trying to drink tons of water today to see if it will help with the water retention.) If it's not water retention then I'm really not sure what it could be, of course the baby is growing but not 3 pounds worth...  I'm trying not to stress over it though.  :)

THANKS!

What was your RDI (recommended daily intake) before you got pregnant, everyones is different so it's good to know your numbers there are a few websites that tell you what your RDI was before your pregnancy based on your weight, height and activity level then they show you how much you should increase during pregnancy.  https://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

Plus not all caloires are the same, make sure you choose foods that give you tons  of nutrients like veggies, fruit, whole grains, dairy and lean protiens. 

I'm so sorry it upset you and I'm sure I would be crying too, I wish you the best.  No worries about it just worry about making a happy healthy baby.

• Options
    imagetiffanyp:

Story of my life.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Haha, it only made be cry because I wasn't expected it to be that much in one week.  I was used to losing weight for a year and half before getting pregnant so when I see the scale jump I freak out and have to remember there IS a baby in there trying to grow.  But I wont freak out if I gain more than 10 more pounds...I'm not looking at the scale anymore except at the Dr. appts.
  • Options

I hear you!! My doctor wants me to gain 15 lbs my whole pregnancy (she's even fine with a negative weight gain, meaning I can weigh less before I started after birth)...this won't happen. I've gained 7 already. I gained two for my last appointment and the nurse was happy with that...but my doc wants it to slow.

My thought is I'm just going to be as healthy as I can...what happens happens. I will watch it, but I think it's my doctor just trying to keep me on track.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"