Preemies
Options

age ?

How are you dealing with your LO's age? My DS is 2 mos. (adjusted age: 10 days). So should I treat him like a 2 month old or a 10 day old? I notice that he can do things like a 2 month old, but some things (like feeding or sleeping) are more like a 10 day old.

He still eats every 3 hours and only takes 3oz. Do I have to wait until he's 4mos old (adjusted 2mos old) before I expect him to STTN?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: age ?

• Options

We always adjusted for Evan, but he hit most of his milestones at his adjusted age.

I think for now, just roll with his cues. I do remember feeling like the baby stage was lasting FOREVER with Evan. That can be a bit frustrating. I can't tell you how many times I wish I had a crystal ball!

• Options
    Yeah, you should definitely adjust for the prematurity. Some things she's hit right on with her actual age, some with her adjusted age, and a few she's been a little behind on for even adjusted age. But just remember that your LO will eventually get the hang of everything, just on his own schedule.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for asking this question. My DD is still in NICU. I've asked the doctors and nurses this same question and their answers are always a little vague. Usually they say, "It depends. Every baby is different."
  • Options
    I always went by actual age.  However, DD was only 5 weeks early, and she never had any NICU time.  I don't know if that makes any difference, just throwing it out there.  Anyway, DD seemed to hit most of her milestones based on her actual age.  I do remember that she rolled over around 4 or 5 months, then never did it again til 7 months.  It was like she hit the milestone on time, then just stopped.  I always reminded myself that she was a preemie if I started to worry about something.  Just doing so eased my mind that maybe she actually wasn't "behind." 
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"