Attachment Parenting

Food Sensitivity Mamas- Soybean Oil

So I'm dairy and soy free.  I've been avoiding soybean oil as well, and it's really restricting a lot of things for me.  DH stumbled across a site that said soybean oil isn't considered an allergen, so I started looking into it.  Here are a few things I've found:

"Prevalence for soy protein allergy is estimated at 0.5% in the general population and 3-6% in children. Refined soybean oil is normally not considered as an allergen because it contains low levels of soy protein, typically 0.15mg per kg. It is estimated that the average consumption of soybean oil results in the intake of only 0.01mg soy protein. Most of the soy protein in soybean oil are trypsin inhibitors and not the typical soy allergens."

https://www.soya.be/soybean-oil-allergy.php

"Highly refined soybean oil does not cause reactions in people who are allergic to soybeans"https://www.news-medical.net/news/2005/04/28/9614.aspx "Highly refined soybean oil does not cause reactions in people who are allergic to soybeans, claim US food scientists at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln." https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Science-Nutrition/Refined-soybean-oil-not-an-allergen-say-food-scientists  Have any of you ladies talked to your doctors about this?  I was going to call the GI and ask about it, because eating soybean oil would make life a LOT easier for me.  Just thought that was interesting; I'm kind of excited about it :) 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Food Sensitivity Mamas- Soybean Oil

• I haven't Heard of this, but that's interesting. I can have soy, so I'm thankful for that. I would do a trial and see what happens. What are your baby's symptoms? Would you be able to tell right away, or would it be not worth it if it did bother LO?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Most soy allergic ppl can have soybean oil and lechithin. Key word being "most". Ari cannot even think about soy w/o having a reaction. lol. 

We asked his allergist about it & he said that some very sensitive ppl will have reactions. You're best bet is to challenge it. Eat a good sized portion of something with soybean oil, & watch your LO for 2-3 days for reactions. Then eat a portion for 2 days in a row, & watch again.

• Loading the player...
  • BFab11BFab11 member
    imagepenguinem:
    I haven't Heard of this, but that's interesting. I can have soy, so I'm thankful for that. I would do a trial and see what happens. What are your baby's symptoms? Would you be able to tell right away, or would it be not worth it if it did bother LO?
    I think I'd be able to tell within hours. He'd get way fussier and his AR would flare up, along with excess, painful gas. I'm going today to get him BioGaia, a probiotic, to hopefully help his gas (even though his mood is way better since I restricted my diet, but he's still a really gassy little man). I think I'll try soybean oil today, it would be amazing! I don't even know if we're actually allergic to soy, we just cut it because of it's correlation with dairy allergies. Fingers crossed this works!
  • We just assumed LO was sensitive to soy too - I just  figured that since he had issues with wheat/gluten/dairy, he was probably going to have soy problems too.  However, I can have soy oil or soy lecthtin without a problem.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"