Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Tummy Sleepers are you out there?

My DS has been a yummy sleeper since 2 weeks old. Due to acid reflux/gas.

I tried switching him over to sleeping on his back this week and he woke himself up every 5 minutes. As soon as I flipped him over to his tummy he went fast asleep.

However tell me I'm not alone when worrying about tummy sleeping and the risk of SIDS. With all these post lately I've become more of a worrry wart. We keep our room cool, and he sleeps in a sleepsack in a pnp next to our bed.

Any other mom's out there think about these things besides me?

Re: Tummy Sleepers are you out there?

• I slept both my babes on their tummies. For many reasons. Here are just 2. Flat heads are an EPIDEMIC in this country. And I'm not about to have my baby aspirate on throw up...just my 2 cents. okay 3 reasons, they slept SO MUCH BETTER on their tummies.

Don't flame me due to the risk of SIDS. I am highly aware.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedenahamilton@cox.net:

I slept both my babes on their tummies. For many reasons. Here are just 2. Flat heads are an EPIDEMIC in this country. And I'm not about to have my baby aspirate on throw up...just my 2 cents. okay 3 reasons, they slept SO MUCH BETTER on their tummies.

Somtimes I feel alone in the tummy sleeping thing IRL. So It's nice to hear I'm not alone in this :) Also never thought of the throw up thing.

• Loading the player...
  • imagecobabymama:
    imagedenahamilton@cox.net:

I slept both my babes on their tummies. For many reasons. Here are just 2. Flat heads are an EPIDEMIC in this country. And I'm not about to have my baby aspirate on throw up...just my 2 cents. okay 3 reasons, they slept SO MUCH BETTER on their tummies.

Somtimes I feel alone in the tummy sleeping thing IRL. So It's nice to hear I'm not alone in this :) Also never thought of the throw up thing.

MIL is an RN and says the "back to sleep" campaign has caused such a huge increase in infant aspiration on throw up...you trade one bad for another really..may have decreased SIDS but now there's a bag full of other issues like helmets...

• Our DD also sleeps on her belly.  We started doing this around 3 or 3 1/2 months old, when she could lift her head.  We have a ceiling fan running and also another fan on the other side of the room from her.  Plus, it is kept cool.  She sleeps next to my side of the bed in her crib.  I do worry about it and check on her constantly!! She hates sleeping on her back and she hates tummy time.  I have an older daughter (almost 20), and when she was an infant, the rule was to have them sleep on their tummys!  You're not alone with your concerns. 

• My son is 3 months and has hardly slept on his back at all. He hates being on his back and will wake immediately when I lay him down if he is on his back. I check him often, as I worry about SIDS, but we are ALL so much happier in our house when the little man can get more than a minute of sleep at a time. He is sooooo much happier on his tummy, so that is how he sleeps. He has very good head control, and if he didn't then I may think twice about it, but he is very happy being a little tummy sleeper. Flame away people if you must.........

Honestly, though, he is truly so much happier on his belly <3

• jkyliejkylie member

dont you worry, since learning to roll over my LO will ONLY sleep on her tummy. it scares me poopless!! the worst part is she sleeps with her face straight down, not sideways or anything!

also, regarding what pp said about the flat head epidemic...well our pedi has been worried about our LO and her flat head, so im actually thankful she is sleeping on her tummy now.

we go to pedi tomorrow to see if a helmet is necessary.

• DS does most of his sleeping on his tummy too, since about 2 weeks. I used to worry about SIDS or suffocation, but now we've been doing it so long, I don't even really think about it.
  • imagewalkerkeli:
    DS does most of his sleeping on his tummy too, since about 2 weeks. I used to worry about SIDS or suffocation, but now we've been doing it so long, I don't even really think about it.

Same here, as soon as we brought DD home she would only sleep for 5 minutes at a time when on her back.  She was then diagnosed with reflux and we noticed when she slept on her tummy she would sleep through the night.  After many nights of checking on her and worrying, we are far past that now.  She has always had great head and neck control since she was born, so we are okay with it.

• Sebastian has pretty much always slept on my chest, so he has amazing head control. Now he sleeps in his bassinette on his tummy. no worries here - i still check on him a lot but that's just me - i check on him when he's covered in his stroller. lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"