Baby Names

Mattie short for Madelyn?

We want to call one of our girls "Mattie."  It is MIL's and GMIL's actual first name.  But, I don't think it would age very well.  I would like DD to have the option of using a more formal name as she gets older.

How do you feel about Mattie as short for Madelyn?  Or should I use 'Matilyn' or some version that would make sense with the two Ts?  I prefer Madelyn, but does Mattie for Madelyn make sense?  I would think most people would automatically spell it "Maddie."  I'm not crazy about Matilda or any of the other options I can think of.

My other DD will be Caroline for my mother whose first name is Carol.

Thanks for you thoughts!

Re: Mattie short for Madelyn?

• I like Mattie and Madelyn, but they don't mix. Mattie is good to be short for Matilda, I know it's kinda old. Love Caroline though. My mothers name is Carolyna, but she goes by Carolyn. My baby brother, and his wife named their baby girl Caroline Addison.
  • Just a couple thoughts here...

Is Caroline going to be pronounced Carol-yn or Carol-EYEn? Because if it's -lyn, I think that may be too rhymey with Madelyn.

Also, Madelyn is on our list only we plan to spell it Madilyn. I think regardless, people will automatically spell the NM like Maddy, Maddie, Madi, Mady. I can't really think of other options for you off the top of my head, but I do like the idea of honoring your MIL and GMIL. Hopefully someone can help come up with the perfect alternative so you can call your girl Mattie! 

GL!!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks!  Caroline will be pronounced Carol-EYEn, so it wouldn't be too rhymey with Madelyn or Matilyn.
  • Maddie, yes. Mattie, no.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • No, Mattie is not short for Madelyn.
  • Mattie is not a logical nn for Madelyn and would be confusing. Matilyn looks made up.

I think naming your daughter Madelyn and having her go by "Maddie" would still honor MIL and GMIL, just as Caroline is not exactly the same as the name Carol. It would still be the same sound but would be unique to your daughter, so I think it still works. Good luck deciding.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know a girl named Madison who goes by Mattie, so it seems ok to me.  She is always having to spell her name though because everyone automatically assumes it would be spelled Maddie.  I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I prefer Matilda over either of those names, but since you don't like it, I guess it doesn't matter.

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would name her Matilda and call her Mattie.
  • I know a girl who goes by Mattie and her full name is Mattalin.  I think that looks better than Matilyn. :-)
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Angel Baby: 5/29/08

• Voice of dissent here. Of course you can name your daughter Madelyn and call her Mattie! The nickname police thing is ridiculous. My uncle's nickname -- Sandy -- (that everyone, from his wife to his co workers to his family call him) has NOTHING to do with his given name (Robert).

Additionally, there are a lot of "traditional" nicknames that aren't EXACTLY the spelling of the real name. Look at Peggy for Margaret or Bettie or Betsy or Bessie for Elizabeth or Jack for John! Can you imagine if someone in the middle ages was like "I'm calling my daughter Margaret Peggy," and her fellow villager was all, "But where does the P come from?"

Don't go around creating some ridiculous Frankenstein name or feeling forced to name her Matilda just so you can get the spelling of the nickname you want. Madelyn-->Mattie makes perfect sense to me.

• Why not? I don't see any reason why you can't name her Madelyn and call her Mattie. Most nicknames don't match up exactly with the given name. I love the name Mattie.
  • I would not use Mattie for Madelyn.  You would be forever spelling it for people.  I also don't like Madelyn and Caroline as twin names.  Too matchy-rhyming for my taste.  If you like Mattie and have a reason for using, use it "as is."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think you're right a lot of people will automatically assume Mattie, but as pp said you can do what you want.  I personally love the name Mattea, and Mattie would work well as a nn for that. 
  • imageAllie30:

Voice of dissent here. Of course you can name your daughter Madelyn and call her Mattie! The nickname police thing is ridiculous. My uncle's nickname -- Sandy -- (that everyone, from his wife to his co workers to his family call him) has NOTHING to do with his given name (Robert).

Additionally, there are a lot of "traditional" nicknames that aren't EXACTLY the spelling of the real name. Look at Peggy for Margaret or Bettie or Betsy or Bessie for Elizabeth or Jack for John! Can you imagine if someone in the middle ages was like "I'm calling my daughter Margaret Peggy," and her fellow villager was all, "But where does the P come from?"

Don't go around creating some ridiculous Frankenstein name or feeling forced to name her Matilda just so you can get the spelling of the nickname you want. Madelyn-->Mattie makes perfect sense to me.

I agree with this. It is a nn use what you want. Also, like pp I know a Madison that goes by Mattie. I really like Madelyn and Carolyn together, btw. 

• Thanks, guys!  I really appreciate all the input.  I am agreeing the Matilyn looks made up.  Thanks for pointing that out.  It is much clearer seeing it in print too!

So, I think my options are going to be 1)  Mattie as the formal name 2) Maddie short for Madelyn, which is similar but not exactly MIL's name 3) Mattie for Madelyn, which is not ideal, but is afterall a nn.

Thanks for the other suggestions, they just aren't jumping out at me for some reason.

I guess I should give DH a vote now Wink

• I know this is going to sound weird, but its a suggestion!  One of my cats names is Mattingly and we call her Mattie for short.  Its an option and people always compliment me on the name and say I "wasted" a good name on a cat!!!
  • imagecmw&tdm:
    I would name her Matilda and call her Mattie.

Ditto. Mattie for Madelyn doesn't make sense. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imagecmw&tdm:
    I would name her Matilda and call her Mattie.

Ditto. Or Mattea. Mattie for Madelyn doesn't make sense. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• ::ahem:: What is so wrong with the name Matilda? ::points to siggy::
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • imageerin.ryan:

I think naming your daughter Madelyn and having her go by "Maddie" would still honor MIL and GMIL, just as Caroline is not exactly the same as the name Carol. It would still be the same sound but would be unique to your daughter, so I think it still works. Good luck deciding.

I agree.

• Of course you can!  No one is stopping you.  My best friend is Madeline, and everyone calls her Maggie, which is much further off.  I do really prefer the spelling Madeline, though.
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"