Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

how much "alone" time do you give LO

Sometimes I'll be doing things around the house and realize C has been playing "by himself" for a long time and i feel bad :(  Does this ever happen to you?  How long would you say your little one is "on his/her own" during the day?

Re: how much "alone" time do you give LO

• I would say maybe an hour.  Sometimes when she wakes up from her nap I don't realize she's awake b/c she's just hanging out in her crib quietly. So I honestly don't know the length of time from when she wakes up- but at the most it would be an hour (assuming she took an hour nap). But she doesn't do a lot of independent alone play outside of her crib.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DS gets a lot of independent play... its recommended so they learn to use their imagination..

I get down on the floor with him and do some play time but he prefers to play a lone with an occasional glimpse at mommy.

Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd have to guess 1-2 hours a day. DS has got lots of toys to play with and does a pretty good job of keeping himself occupied. I don't feel bad because it's good for his development and gives me a chance to get stuff done around the house.
  • Gavin is pretty good about playing independently. Sometimes he's zooming around the house all day, and then I usually stay at least in view so I know what he's up to, but if he's messing around with his toys in the family room I will leave him be pretty much. I still go in and out of the room frequently if I'm doing other things, but a lot of times I just kind of hang out and watch him b/c I think it's cute.
  • DD plays really well independently.  I'm always right there with her, but a lot of the time she's doing her own thing.  And then, there are times that she is standing at the bottom of the stairs, crying, pointing upstairs.  I bring her up for a nap, then watch her on the video monitor, and she's just sitting there quietly or playing with her two lovies in her bed.  It really depends on her mood and the day, but she does have a lot of alone time.  She likes it, is perfectly content. 
    imageimageimage
  • Now not so much since my oldest DD is on summer vacation. But when she's in school I'd say about an hr to and an hour and a half. Usually in the mornings or afternoon's when I'm cleaning the kitchen and taking a shower. When DH comes home from work, he interacts and entertain's DD.

• As much as she wants. Some days that's 3 seconds, some days it's 3 hours. I try to interact with her throughout her independent play by saying things like "oh are you giving your baby a bath?" If she wants to play with me, she'll start bringing me toys or telling me about her baby. If she wants to keep playing alone she'll either ignore me or give me a short answer, but keep playing. I think it would be worse for me to try to force her to play with me or do what I want to do than it is for her to play by herself for long periods of time, kwim?
  • tri047tri047 member
    I do this quite often.  I definitely try to limit it, but he plays good by himself.  He was in day care during the school year, so he is kind of used to it.  It is nice for me so I can get things done, but I definitely spend a lot of one-on-one time with him...even if I am just reading in the same rook.  He will play a bit, then come up to me and we will play.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I have a 15M old DD.

We give her lots of independent play time-- I would estimate 3-4 hours a day (spread out in 20-40 minute bursts).  I think it's extremely important for babies to develop initiative and make their own discoveries about the world.  It helps foster creativity & focus, and most importantly a strong sense of "self" and confidence in their ability to make wise choices.  IMO, babies need to have time to move independently, think, experiment, and 'wonder' about their surroundings.  When she shows an interest in something I try not to interrupt her and direct her play from an adult perspective.  That said, I give her undivided attention throughout the day as well.  I will read, sing, and talk about what we are doing during meals, diaper changes, bathtime, shopping trips, car rides, etc and give her words for objects she's interested in-- sort of narrating the things she does from time to time.  Usually, she lets me know when she wants more information about something or would like help thinking through a challenging situation.  This approach has worked really well for our family & child but everyone has to find what works for them.  Good luck!

• On and off all day, every day.  I mean, we do stuff together, like read books, cuddle and such, but he really enjoys exploring the house and playing with his stuff or the dog.  When he wants my attention, he lets me know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"