February 2011 Moms
Options

What?! No blood test to really confirm...thoughts???

After taking ten pregancy tests, I finally realized well...yup..I was pregnant. We got pregnant very quickly, our first month of trying, so I felt excited...confused and just couldn't believe it. I called my doctor and I was scheduled for a nurse's visit on July 6 and then a u/s for the 21st! After reading many posts about how some of you ladies have been upset/disappointed by your first visit to the doctor, I decided to call so I would know what to expect. I received a call back whereby the nurse told me that it's just an informational, 1 hour, meeting. What!? Really! Not, that I don't need or want the info, but we're fully trusting my ten pregnancy tests, eh? I guess I'm really shocked by that. It doesn't help that my parents are almost in their 70's and although they're acting super happy...they keep asking...well when do you go to the doctor. blah.blah. I have to hear how they used to confirm women's pregnancy's etc..etc... Then my mother told me of a woman on 20/20 thought she was pregnant...doctor later confirmed she wasn't...then she stole a baby from the nursery at a hospital. Why!? Would you tell me that. I know the 10 preg tests I tooks are 99.9% right, but as anyone else having this problem??

Re: What?! No blood test to really confirm...thoughts???

• Options
    They would only do a blood test if you were high miscarriage risk or if your hpt at the dr showed up negative. Different doctors have different ways of doing things. Your 10 pregnancy tests should suffice, you are pregnant!! :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm also very, very shocked that they just rely on pregnancy tests to confirm such a HUGE thing!  It's crazy to me!  I have yet to call and ask what to expect at my Dr. appt. b/c I fear that it will be just like yours, an informational, get to know you!  Ugh!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

They only do b/w if you have previous m/c or suspect a m/c. You should, however, have b/w during your first appt for HIV, CBC, UA/UC, and prental profile (took that off my appt brochure but that is what happening during my first appt)

As long as you took an EPT then that is as good as what they have. I haven't seen anyone yet and won't until July 19th.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    chusumchusum member
    With your first normal pregnancy your first appt at most doctors offices are an intro. They will also go over some ppw, talk to you about your insurance, etc. Kind of disappointing b/c the first thing you want is to see the baby & possibly talk to your doctor, but they have another agenda!

Married August 9, 2008
    TTC Since September 2009

1st   BFP | EDD 10/23/10 | Natural M/C 03/27/10 | 10w 0d
    2nd BFP 06/26/10 | EDD 02/25/11 | Natural  M/C 07/17/10 | 8w 1d
    3rd  BFP 12/17/10 | EDD 08/24/11 | Natural M/C 12/31/10 | 7w 4d
    4th  BFP 06/22/11 | EDD 02/25/12 | M/C D&C on 07/27/11 | 9w4d
    5th  BFP 09/17/11 | DD Paige Lily born 05/16/12
    6th  BFP 08/11/12 | EDD 04/11/13 | CP
    7th  BFP 09/29/13 | EDD 06/04/14 | Natural M/C 10/27/13 | 8w1d
    8th  BFP 12/16/13 | EDD 09/01/14

DX: Pericentric Inversion of Chromosome 8 & compound heterozygous for MTHFR mutations
    RX: Lovenox/Heparin & Folgard

• Options
    I had bloodwork done at my first appt. but I think it was just to check for diseases etc. They sure took a lot of blood though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Try not to worry about it too much!  I don't have my first visit until I'm 9 weeks.  They say its pretty much impossible to get a false positive so I'm sure you're preggos!  Also, If you call your dr's office and let them know that you're having sharp cramps then they may be able to get you in sooner for an US!  Goodluck!

• Options
    I am almost 9 weeks and I have not had any blood tests to confirm my pregnancy. Just pee'd in the cup. Good luck at your first appointment.
  • Options
    my doc just did a pee test to confirm. no blood test.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine does an exam with a practitioner for the first appt.  Then sit with the nurse for a some info.  Not sure what you're yearning for but information is what you need at this stage.  You need to know what to expect, what to schedule, vitamins to take, any restrictions...   There's not much else needed right now.
  • Options
    Honestly, pg tests are pretty reliable these days, and if you've had no history of loss or issues getting pg, it is pointless to do a blood test to confirm.  With my 1st pg (my DS) I had to bring in a pee sample so they could test that and then I had the incredibly 'well, duh' experience of having a nurse call me to tell me I was pg and then to set up a first appointment. This time, I think they've given even that up, they just asked to confirm that I'd actually taken a pg test and wasn't just late and assuming or 'just knew'.  You're pg.  chillax. H&H 9 mo.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Seriously...come March, I'm trying the lavendar martini!! Looks good!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"