Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Questions for FF Mom's Who Use Rice Cereal For AR...

We are maxing out DS' rice cereal (2 tbls per 4 oz) and now have to also stretch the time between each feeding in order for his stomach to empty properly before he eats again.  We are currently using Similac Advanced formula.

I have a few questions for those that are in a similar situation...

1.  What changes have you noticed in LO's bowel movements since you started the regimen?  More or less frequent?  Change in consistency?

2.  How long does LO typically go between feedings?

3.  If you have experienced constipation/gas issues is there a specific brand of formula that you have had success using?

Thanks!  I just want to be prepared for any changes that might happen so that we can address them promptly.  

image image

Re: Questions for FF Mom's Who Use Rice Cereal For AR...

• Options
    lmpdjclmpdjc member

We use 1 tsp per 2 ozs of formula (Enfamil Gentlease).  His poops have gotte thicker with more grunting involved, but he isn't constipated and still goes every day.  We give him Mylicon drops with most feedings to help with the gas.  We go anywhere from 2-4 hours, usually right around 3 between feedings.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelmpdjc:

We use 1 tsp per 2 ozs of formula (Enfamil Gentlease).  His poops have gotte thicker with more grunting involved, but he isn't constipated and still goes every day.  We give him Mylicon drops with most feedings to help with the gas.  We go anywhere from 2-4 hours, usually right around 3 between feedings.

This exactly!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm curious, since you ladies probably know more than me about rice cereal. Other than for AR, what's the point of it? I understand how it would help for that, but I was wondering why babies get it otherwise since it's not as vitamin rich as BM, formula, or fruits/veggies. It just seems like a filler. Just curious.

• Options
    lmpdjclmpdjc member

imageg8trkim:
    I'm curious, since you ladies probably know more than me about rice cereal. Other than for AR, what's the point of it? I understand how it would help for that, but I was wondering why babies get it otherwise since it's not as vitamin rich as BM, formula, or fruits/veggies. It just seems like a filler. Just curious.

At this age, AR is the only reason I can think of that it's beneficial.  I read that the reason they start it a a "first food" on a spoon is because it the most gentle on a LO's tummy.  There is no nutritional value, it just starts teaching them how to eat.  So says "What to Expect the First Year".

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelmpdjc:

imageg8trkim:

At this age, AR is the only reason I can think of that it's beneficial.  I read that the reason they start it a a "first food" on a spoon is because it the most gentle on a LO's tummy.  There is no nutritional value, it just starts teaching them how to eat.  So says "What to Expect the First Year".

Thanks. BTW, I know not to give it until at least 4 months but I was just thinking ahead.

I'll have to read up on these things at some point. I realize I have no clue about what to do when DS is ready to start foods.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"