High-Risk Pregnancy

Steroid Shots (for lung development)

I went into ptl labor about two weeks ago at 27 weeks....my ob did not give me steroid shots, she said she waits for either a positive ffn, or cervical shortening before giving them. I have since been back to L&D twice for contractions, now at home on bedrest and procardia. 

I went through this exact same thing with my boys, and they were born at 34 weeks, and ended up being on cpap's on room air for two days. I have always wondered if I had recieved the steroid shots if things might have been different.

My question is, what is the criteria that your ob uses for the shots? Can I demand them this go around? Any insight would be super helpful...I plan on talking to her about it again on friday. 

TIA 

Re: Steroid Shots (for lung development)

• That's such a toughie!  The max benefit is within the first week.  But that's not to say they aren't beneficial after that.  Heck my mom got them with me at about 26 weeks and I was born at 30 weeks; I never needed intubation and CPAP didn't even exist back then.

I think your OB is just waiting for true preterm labor (either cervical shortening or positive FFN) before she administers them.  Sounds like you're just having a lot of preterm ctx with no cervical change yet??  Did you have the boys at 34 weeks due to preterm labor? 

So sorry you are going through this.  :(  I am getting antsy myself as my contractions increase and now I am looking like I am developing either gestational hypertension or maybe pre E.  If nothing happens by 33 weeks, I am certainly championing the idea of steroids and not letting up until I get them.

Hang in there momma!! 

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the one week thing...yes, I am having a ton of ctx with no cervical change...and yes I had my boys at 34w due to ptl. 

Sorry about the possible hypertension or pre-e! I know how hard it is to play the waiting game, I am bound and determined to have no nicu stay this time around. 

Hope your little ones stay cooking for another month or so for you!

• Loading the player...
  • Since you have a history of delivery at 34 weeks....I agree that steroids should be something to be reconsidered often!  Sounds like you are a great advocate for yourself.  Just keep an open dialogue about it with your doctor; that's what I am doing as well.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Got mine at 23 weeks after a cerclage & then water rupture. I would have gotten a second dose after 3 weeks if I showed any signs of labor with contractions, not shortening cervix since mine does it on it's own anyway.
  • i would push for them. i had a previa and got my first shot when i was admitted to the hospital at 32w5d. i had a huge bleed the next day and was given the 2nd shot early (about 18 hours later). i delivered about 6 hours after that. DS needed CPAP for a day and the cannula for a couple of days. i imagine that if hte shots were given earlier, he would not have needed those.

the thing with pregnancy is that things can change quickly. the shots aren't fully effective until 24 hours after the 2nd one. so that's basically 48 hours where things would have to be stable to receive the full effect. the risks are definitely worth the benefits (in my opinion).

good luck!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"