2nd Trimester

Plus size 18+

I have gained 22 lbs, WTF am I going to do?

Re: Plus size 18+

• What does your doctor say about it?  I started out as a size 20, and my doctor wants me to gain between 11 and 20 lbs. 

If I were you, I would focus on eating lots of fruits, veggies, lean dairy, and whole grains.  That's what I've been trying to do, and I've only gained 1 lb.  

Talk to your doctor about your weight gain.  He/she may want you to see a nutritionist, or maybe just watch your calorie intake from now on.  Or, they may not think anything about it.

• I was a 16 before I was pregnant, and my doctor is on my a$s about not gaining weight. At 16 weeks I have gained 10lbs (she thinks it's 7).

My philosophy is ...I'm watching what I'm eating, and exercising regularly. If I gain weight, then well, I gain weight. I hate the stress of going to get weighed at the doctor, because I get a mini-lecture, but I just tell her that I'm honestly trying (of course with some treats in there...I'm pregnant after all!!).

Just be healthy, do your best and remember there is plenty of time to lose weight after baby. (Let me tell you...I'm dying to go on a diet right now with the stress this is causing me).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I was a 16/18 before, and my doc isn't concerned.  The only thing we talk about is nutrition. 

I would say make sure you are getting the healthiest diet you can - fruits, veggies, protein, complex carbs, vitamins, minerals, etc. and don't worry about it!  You absolutely can't do anything about the pounds you've already put on, so forget about it.  You gotta take care of that baby!  And add some exercise too, mostly for energy.  :) 

• I saw my Dr. today.  Everything with the baby is fine, she didn't mention anything about the weight gain.  I asked her because I was curious.  When she said 22 lbs, my jaw DROPPED!  It's my own fault, I could be eating better.  But I hadn't noticed the extra weight in my face which is where it goes first.  Oh well, I will be eating more veggies.  LOL, I still can't believe I gained that much in 6 months, oops.   Embarrassed  Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!
  • I signed up on babfit.sparkpeople.com  It helps you create meals and count calories so you're not going overboard.  It was a reality check for me because it tells you approximately how many calories a day you should be eating.  (It's more than reasonable, trust me.)  The first day I put everything in I DOUBLED the calories I should've eaten.  

If you're doing everything you can, I wouldn't stress too much about it.  You can request not to know your weight at your visits.  (Have them weigh you facing the opposite direction.)  Tell your doc you are eating right and exercising - anything over and above that cannot possibly be healthy.

MIL was just telling me last night how she was 145 when she got pg w/DH.  Her doc gave her hell about it and she delivered at 139.  That CANNOT be healthy!  Just take care of yourself and your baby and you can work on losing the excess later. 

• ::lurking from 3rd tri::

I'm a size 18/20 and have gained 21 lbs so far. Doctor doesn't seem concerned although. In the beginning she told me to gain around 15. If you're worried talk to your doctor. I've been eating really good and it still happened. My dr did mention that some people's bodies are just going to gain what it has to. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageiratik333:
    I saw my Dr. today.  Everything with the baby is fine, she didn't mention anything about the weight gain.  I asked her because I was curious.  When she said 22 lbs, my jaw DROPPED!  It's my own fault, I could be eating better.  But I hadn't noticed the extra weight in my face which is where it goes first.  Oh well, I will be eating more veggies.  LOL, I still can't believe I gained that much in 6 months, oops.   Embarrassed  Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

If your doctor isn't concerned about it, then neither should you.  My doctor is concerned about mine, which is why I gave you the original advice I did.

You obviously know that you could eat better, so this is an area where you could change.  Since your doctor isn't concerned, I'd just concentrate on more fruits and veggies.

• I was a 16 and doctor told me from day one that 20lbs was my limit.

I have gained 3-4.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a size 24, and am allowed no weight. And was even told that it wouldn't hurt to lose weight. I lost weight in the beginning because of morning sickness, and I still have some m/s, and it's coming back FAST. I don't know what's going to happen when the m/s is gone.

Anyway, I am going on vacation. When I get back, I am going to set up an appointment with a nutritionalist. I am very nervous, too! 

• I have gained 23 pounds so far and am almost 26 weeks.  My doctor isnt concerned she is only concerned with my water intake.  I walk everyday and mostly eat healthy and still gained the weight.  I wouldn't worry you can always lose it after the baby is here.
  • I am an 18, I gained about 40 pounds with DS1 and lost is all in about 3 weeks, so much of it was water weight.  With this pregnancy I've gain 13 so far, I'm not concerned, a lot is water weight again already :(.  Unless your dr. says something I wouldn't worry about it, just try to eat healthy 90% of the time :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm a 16 pre-pregnancy and was told 15-25 pounds,and I've gained 15 so far,all in the past 6 weeks or so...

I think if you are eating healthy most of the time and the doctor isn't concerned,then you shouldn't be either.Remind yourself that the weight is for a good reason and that it is temporary.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• I might be too late here, but I was a size 16/18 pre-pg and have lost 12lbs. With my DD I lost 20lbs between my first prenatal visit and my post-partem visit. Neither of my docs ever mentioned to me a problem with the weight loss b/c I was just eating better and more consciously. They never said anything to me about what I "should" or "shouldn't" gain.

I think the most important thing is to sort of forget about the numbers and focus more on nutrition. Does that make sense? Regardless, I'm just happy to see a post about women with bodies like mine!!! Smile

• I am soooo going to start walking again, and drag DH with me.  I didn't think I was going to get so many replies, Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"