2nd Trimester
Options

Couldn't find CSP in 1st Ultrasound?

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone else here had to get a second ultrasound because the CSP hadn't been located the first time around?  I had my ultrasound 5 weeks ago at 19 weeks, and everything was fine, but my midwife called me the other day and said that she had talked to the backup OB and they noticed that the CSP hadn't been measured and they are sending me for a "high level" ultrasound in the Maternal Fetal Medicine dept.  So I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else?  All I know is that the CSP is something in the brain.  I don't want to worry too much because when I got my first ultrasound done the tech had a horrible time measuring the head because baby girl was in a really bad position, but I am a bit worried since all the sudden they need this measurement in the next week and they won't explain anything to me Huh?

Re: Couldn't find CSP in 1st Ultrasound?

• Options
    I wouldn't worry yourself too much.  It sounds like perhaps this measurement was just overlooked at your first ultrasound, or, like you said, couldn't be done because baby wasn't cooperating.
  • Options

imageNovemberRain29:
    I wouldn't worry yourself too much.  It sounds like perhaps this measurement was just overlooked at your first ultrasound, or, like you said, couldn't be done because baby wasn't cooperating.

I agree with this

• Loading the player...
  • Options

From some quick Googling, I learned that it is a section of the brain that is present in all infants during fetal development, but that if essentially fuses and disappears by 3-6 months of age. "The CSP should be visible on transabdominal sonography between 16 and 38 weeks' menstrual age. Abnormalities in these cranial structures may be indicative of central nervous system malformations." I also read the abnormalities are related to fetal alcohol syndrome.

It seems to me that they normally take this measurement and either couldn't get the right angle during your u/s or forgot to take it. Also, clearly this isn't based in anything scientific, just my opinion, but given that so few of us know anything about it, it probably isn't that common that things are wrong with it. Good luck! Doesn't seem like you should be too worried.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"