Natural Birth

Cloth diaper site/how many do I need?

Someone gave me a link to a site (another board) for cloth diapering. It detailed how many diapers/inserts you would need for each different type of diaper. I am planning on using the flip system, I wasn't sure if 8 covers and 24 inserts would be enough..or too much?

Any input (or if someone knows of that site) would be appreciated! :) 

Re: Cloth diaper site/how many do I need?

• Do you mind sharing the link?  I was planning on using a CD service, but now that we're going to have laundry on our bedroom floor level, I think that I'm going to launder them myself!  I feel like I'm at square one, but I've heard a lot of good things about Fuzzi Bunz...
  • giaM28giaM28 member

have you seen the FLIPs in person? i got a sampler pack from:

https://www.simplewondersdiapers.com/

included was 2 FLIPs. i have 24 CDs, 2 from each brand so i can test them. i havent even used the FLIPs yet and i hate them. they are flimsy and cheap feeling. its a glorified pre-fold and cover.. i highly doubt ill be using them with LO

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • giaM28giaM28 member
    also if you are new to CD the woman who runs the site is very sweet and helpful.  i asked her a ton of questions and she answered all of them without catching an attitude.
  • We use cloth diapers, but I haven't tried Flips.  In general, the bare minimum of diapers you need for a newborn is 24.  I think 30 is better; it gives you some leeway if for some reason you are not able to wash on schedule occasionally.  Most one-size cloth diaper systems do not fit newborns, so if you want to CD immediately, you might need to look into another option.  Let me know if you have any questions.
  • CTri17CTri17 member

I only had 16 NB diapers, I just washed every day, it was a pain but they aren't in them for very long so it wasn't worth it to me to buy more.

Now I have 18 Mother Ease Sandy's (fitteds) and 4 thirsties fitted covers. 

I wash every other day but could go every 3rd (but it is better for the diaps to do every other)

Personally I wasn't to keen on the flip system. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket if you aren't sure what you want.

I did put all my eggs in one and got the ME, and luckily we love love love them!

Page me on 3-6 if you have more questions

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• www.greenmountaindiapers.com is also another great source. I felt totally overwhelmed at first, but after spending a good afternoon on that site, I feel like I have a game plan. GL!
  • imagejdoman:
    www.greenmountaindiapers.com is also another great source. I felt totally overwhelmed at first, but after spending a good afternoon on that site, I feel like I have a game plan. GL!
    This.

I spent a good deal of time on this site and found it really helpful.

I've seen the FLIPs in person and being a first timer I wasn't fond of how they looked.

• I have 4 Flip Covers, 8 stay dry inserts, 6 organic inserts, 6 BG OS, 3 BG 3.0 small, 3 BG 3.0 medium, 2 BG 3.0 large. 

I'm hoping to do laundry every other day.  A friend of mine has been using the flips for awhile and she LOVES them!  They are very trim.

• I use Flip covers and LOVE them. They are really trim and fit DS well. But:

1) I definitely think they'd be too big for a newborn. DS still easily fits into the small rise setting, and he's over 15 lbs.

2) I don't like the inserts. The stay-dry insert shifts all around, and his EBF poop always gets on the cover. The organic insert stays in place better but is super, SUPER bulky. I just use the covers over normal Snappi'd prefolds and that works great.

As for how many... 8 covers/24 inserts is probably a good number for a newborn, if you plan to wash every other day. If you use prefolds rather than the Flip inserts, you could probably use only 3-4 covers, because the prefolds do a better job of keeping poop in the diaper. But if you're using the Flip inserts, you definitely want at least 8 covers, because you'll need to count on poop getting on the cover pretty much every time your baby poops (and newborns poop a LOT).

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"