January 2011 Moms

Just got

My kit for the cord blood and cord tissue. Who else is banking there babies cord blood?

Re: Just got

• I don't think I'll bank, but maybe donate.  I knew there was something else to ask my OB.  Dang.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • We are donating not banking.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We're considering it! I was all gung-ho for it but after some research, we realized that the cord doesn't have enough cells to help our child if he/she needs it as an adult. And since our family histories are pretty clean, the likelihood of needing it at all is pretty slim, so I don't know. I'd rather be safe than sorry but I'm also considering donating to help a child already in need.
  • imageizzourclue:
    I don't think I'll bank, but maybe donate.  I knew there was something else to ask my OB.  Dang.

WOW that is so thoughtful of you. That is such a wonderful thing to do. Party!!! You get a A+ in my book. 

• imagesandylou:
    We are donating not banking.

That is such a good thing to do.

• imagepmanolides:
    We're considering it! I was all gung-ho for it but after some research, we realized that the cord doesn't have enough cells to help our child if he/she needs it as an adult. And since our family histories are pretty clean, the likelihood of needing it at all is pretty slim, so I don't know. I'd rather be safe than sorry but I'm also considering donating to help a child already in need.

Aww that is so sweet. I think donating it is such a good idea. My family doesnt have such a good back ground so Im doing it to be on the safe side you know? My little cousin who was 6 just passed away last year from cancer so I wanna have this available to my children if they ever need it. Plus if another family member might need it, it can really help. 

• I was going to, and then I watched this last month.. https://abcnews.go.com/WN/private-umbilical-cord-blood-banking-parents-spend-big/story?id=10549979 basically they say a stranger's cord blood is more effective than their own kids.

I would TOTALLY do a public bank since strangers cord blood is but of course CT doesn't participate for some really stupid reason.  

That being said, OP, you do have several children so it may be worth it for you.... I just don't see the cost = the benefit 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh I'm so sorry! That must have been heartbreaking for your family! If I were in the same circumstances I would definitely bank in that case!
  • We are probably going to do it this time (If we ever close on our house!) but I haven't ordered the lit yet.  I'm not that organized!  Did you do it with any of your other three?

• ekmebmekmebm member

I'm interested in donating also. We have a good family health history and I can't really see us spending that kind of money because our kid might need it, "someday" when there is already someone elses kid out there that needs it NOW. What a neat way to give life and (potentially) save a life at the same time.

Have you set it up yet? Is this something I would set up with my OB or through a Cord Bank.

Kate & Eric Married 10.10.09

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagehoney740:

I was going to, and then I watched this last month.. https://abcnews.go.com/WN/private-umbilical-cord-blood-banking-parents-spend-big/story?id=10549979 basically they say a stranger's cord blood is more effective than their own kids.

That's a good article, thanks for posting!

• imageKeddy15:

We are probably going to do it this time (If we ever close on our house!) but I haven't ordered the lit yet.  I'm not that organized!  Did you do it with any of your other three?

No I didnt. Sad  I did donate my third childs. But until my little cousin passed away I always thought that our family had good genes and that if something were to ever happen I could always try to get someone to donate to me. But now that I am pregnant this time I really wanted to crack down and do it. I got there newest kit it takes cord blood and cord tissue and the cord tissue can be multiplied and used again and again. So I really thought it was worth it this time. 

• imageekmebm:

I'm interested in donating also. We have a good family health history and I can't really see us spending that kind of money because our kid might need it, "someday" when there is already someone elses kid out there that needs it NOW. What a neat way to give life and (potentially) save a life at the same time.

Have you set it up yet? Is this something I would set up with my OB or through a Cord Bank.

If you want to bank it for yourself then you can talk to a cord bank and if you want to donate it you talk to your OB. 

• imagepmanolides:
    imagehoney740:

I was going to, and then I watched this last month.. https://abcnews.go.com/WN/private-umbilical-cord-blood-banking-parents-spend-big/story?id=10549979 basically they say a stranger's cord blood is more effective than their own kids.

That's a good article, thanks for posting!

This is a really good article. 

• ekmebmekmebm member
    imagebeautifulsin90:

If you want to bank it for yourself then you can talk to a cord bank and if you want to donate it you talk to your OB. 

Thanks! I will ask about it my appointment tomorrow! :)

Kate & Eric Married 10.10.09

BabyFruit Ticker
  • For donating, does it depend on the hospital or the OB or what whether you are able to donate? DH & I don't have the money to bank the cord blood, but I would gladly donate it. I know the hospital closest to us gives the option to donate when you are at registration so your preference can go in your chart. But I have never heard anything about cord blood banking/donation at the hospital I am delivering at. It's a small, nonaffiliated community hospital. Maybe they just don't have the ability to store it or something?
  • I will donate it if our hospital offers this option, but I am not going to pay to have it banked since it's extremely unlikely that our child will use it.
  • I haven't looked into it at all, but I know we will delay cord clamping/cutting.  Can you still even donate after that?  I don't think so, but I'll look into it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagefirsttimemama:
    I haven't looked into it at all, but I know we will delay cord clamping/cutting.  Can you still even donate after that?  I don't think so, but I'll look into it!

I read somewhere that if you wait until the cord stops pulsating, that there might not be enough blood left to make it worth the investment to bank but you might still be able to donate what's left.

• imagepmanolides:

imagefirsttimemama:
    I haven't looked into it at all, but I know we will delay cord clamping/cutting.  Can you still even donate after that?  I don't think so, but I'll look into it!

I read somewhere that if you wait until the cord stops pulsating, that there might not be enough blood left to make it worth the investment to bank but you might still be able to donate what's left.

I agree....

• I thought about it, but after researching how much it will cost, I'd rather take that money and start a college fund. I had a cousin, twice removed, die from leukemia when he was 14, but that was back in 1960 and I know of not other family members having that disease other than that one person. Other than that, the only thing I know that runs in my family on my mom's side is heart disease (always knew) and thyroid issues (found out earlier in the year about it).

I'd rather donate the cord blood if that option is available and that is definately something I want to discuss at my next appointment in two weeks.

Joseph Michael - 12/22/2010
    5lbs 9 oz, 18.5 inches long
    6 months: 16lbs 15 oz, 27 inches long

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"