Only feeding from one side... — The Bump
Breastfeeding

Only feeding from one side...

Up until yesterday LO has pretty much always eaten from both sides for 10-15 min a side.  Now he is only eating from one side for 10-15 min.  I am worried about my supply plummeting and him not getting enough.  Is it normal for them to start feeding less?  He still eats every two hours as well.  I was hoping that he would continue to eat from both sides and start eating less (even if it was every 2.5 to 3 hrs.) Should I be taking his clothes off and making him wake up enough to get another side in or should I let him sort of direct how he wants to feed? 

Re: Only feeding from one side...

• My LO has only ever eaten from 1 side.  My supply evened out to accomodate that.  As long as he is still getting enough wet diapers, I would think he is okay and getting enough.
  • I have been only feeding from one side since DS was a week old.  My supply has gotten used to it and I feel that it is much more convenient.
  • Loading the player...
  • image Peony81:
    I have been only feeding from one side since DS was a week old.  My supply has gotten used to it and I feel that it is much more convenient.

Ditto.  I wouldn't worry if he seems satisfied and has plenty of wet dipes.  Sounds like he's just getting more efficient. 

• image ncbelle:

image Peony81:
    I have been only feeding from one side since DS was a week old.  My supply has gotten used to it and I feel that it is much more convenient.

Ditto.  I wouldn't worry if he seems satisfied and has plenty of wet dipes.  Sounds like he's just getting more efficient. 

We only feed from one side as well.  You can continue to offer it - but if he does not want to nurse the 2nd side don't worry.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hi!

I just asked a LC about my LO eating from only one side today! She said that its fine as long as he's gaining appropriately and having enough wet/poopy diapers. She also mentioned that around 3 weeks he may start eating off of both sides during a growth spurt and my body would adjust to him when that happened.

DS born 6/16/10. Natural m/c on 10/3/11 @ 10w4d Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would keep a very close eye on his weight gain.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards