Multiples
Options

infection...

my daughter went to dr yesterday because she was having back pain,frequent urination and low cramps.. they informed her she has a UTI and possible kidney infection and gave her an antibiotics..he said if pain gets worse to go  to er...well she called me a bit ago and said her back is still hurting pretty bad..do you think she should call them or give antibiotics a couple days to work?? i have a friend who is an RN and she said UTIs can set off preterm labor and she is 23weeks tomorrow and do not wanttorisk that..

thanks in advance for any helpt

Re: infection...

• Options

Tell her to go with her gut.  It's never a bad thing to go and let them check her out.  Hope she feels better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If it is back pain it can be an ascending infection  (pyelonephritis) which can actually be very dangerous for pregnant women - not only for preterm labor but actually for mom's health overall.  A simple UTI should not be causing back pain.  She needs to be seen by her doc or in the hospital ASAP to make sure it isn't pyelo.
    Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!  I have her calling drs office now..
  • Options
    janjagjanjag member

imageE&RMommy:
    If it is back pain it can be an ascending infection  (pyelonephritis) which can actually be very dangerous for pregnant women - not only for preterm labor but actually for mom's health overall.  A simple UTI should not be causing back pain.  She needs to be seen by her doc or in the hospital ASAP to make sure it isn't pyelo.

i thought back pain was typical of UTIs, like behind your kidneys.  i've never had a UTI w/out that pain.

i would still call my OB though.

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    A simple UTI should not cause pain behind the kidneys; that is more indicative of pyelonephritis.  I've had multiple patients in the ICU from pyelonephritis.  20-25% of pregnant patients with pyelo get ARDS and very, very sick.  It's actually one of the scarier things to treat!   
    Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options

imageE&RMommy:
    A simple UTI should not cause pain behind the kidneys; that is more indicative of pyelonephritis.  I've had multiple patients in the ICU from pyelonephritis.  20-25% of pregnant patients with pyelo get ARDS and very, very sick.  It's actually one of the scarier things to treat!   

Ditto that. I'm an ICU RN. If it was me I'd seek some sort of re-assessment. Better safe than sorry, right?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'd have her follow up and go in just in case. at 23.5 wks, I called my peri b/c I was having low back pain (I was simply calling to ask if I could take more than the recommended 2 tylenol) and they had me come in right then. Found out I had BV (bacterial infection) that could have very easily lead to PTL had it not been treated.

All to say...have her go with her gut. I was so glad I got treatment stat and continued to have a long, healthy pg after treating that infection!

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks Ladies.. she called dr and ended up in ER and took her to L&D and everything is fine.. still just UTI and both babies look good!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"