1st Trimester
Options

Shortness of breath

I thought that wasn't suppose to kick in until after the baby is a decent size. But I just read two ladies post shortness of breath as a symptom they are having right now. Anyone else?

Im off to google it but what would cause it this early. I have a doc. appointment at 2 for it because its really starting to bother me (I also think i had it pre-pregnancy a few weeks) so im just wondering.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shortness of breath

• Options
    I don't know what causes it but I've had a few episodes where I wasn't having difficulty breathing but I couldn't get a deep breath.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageHyfagal:
    I don't know what causes it but I've had a few episodes where I wasn't having difficulty breathing but I couldn't get a deep breath.

Thats what im having. I can breath but it takes a few tries and some moving around to get a deep breath to "stick"

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageHyfagal:

I had this EXACT thing.  Had it with the other pregnancies also.  When I mentioned it to my OB he said that progesterone has an effect on pulmonary function and that often you feel like you can't fully take a breath.  He knew exactly what I meant when I mentioned it.  He said it's okay, and don't panic yourself so you don't hyperventilating trying again and again, but it's alright, and normal!!

• Options

Yes...I have shortness of breath and had no idea it was supposed to kick in so soon.  This really confused me because I used to work out at least 4 times a week and consider myself as pretty healthy. 

I called my OBGYN and she said it caused by higher levels of Progesterone and increased blood flow.

I also have VERY SLIGHT asthma...and got checked out and it doesn't seem to be my asthma.  I have heard from other ladies that it should get better.  i hope so!

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow its super normal maybe I should cancel my appointment it sounds like you all have exactly what I do. hmmm
  • Options
    I had this on Monday and it was crazy uncomfortable, felt like my lungs weren't able to fully expand.  Thankfully it went away that evening and hasn't been back...knock on wood!!
  • Options
    I'm experiencing this too and someone else posted the same question a few days ago. It seems pretty common due to increased blood flow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Shortness of breath was one of the first symptoms I had-even before I knew I was pregnant. It is perfectly normal, sorry to say, I heard it only gets harder:( No matter how in shape you are-pregnancy is tough! Hope this helps:)
  • Options
    i dont know what could cause it but when you come back from the doc be sure to let us know
  • Options
    It's driving me more crazy than the morning sickness. I hate having to stop what I'm doing to go sit down because it feels like someones sitting on my lungs.
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Our son died at 16weeks 6days on September 22, 2010 The greatest thing you?ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return" ~ Moulin Rouge My Blog
  • Options
    im 5.5 weeks and i get that too sometimes!!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"