Working Moms

How much earlier do you wake up?

I currently start work at 5am and I wake up at about 4 (ok...maybe 4:15 Embarrassed) and I leave the house at 4:30am. Dh will be taking lo to daycare when he goes to work at 8am. My question is if you don't take lo to work, how much earlier do you get up in the mornings? I'm thinking I'll probably need to get up at 3am to change their diaper, feed them & put them back to bed. Is this giving me enough time? I've heard before to not wake the baby as they will get use to this routine (and I would hate to still have to get up on the weekends!) but I would hate for the baby to wake up just after I leave for work. Should I just pump instead that way the baby has a fresh bottle(but then dh still gets woken up)? What is the easiest way to do this!!??

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How much earlier do you wake up?

• can't your husband change the baby's diaper and feed him/her when he gets up?  When your LO is still on BM or Formula, you shoudl be able to feed him/her w/o waking them up. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • When will you be returning to work after the birth? The reason I ask is because by the time I went back to work around 3 months, my DD was mostly sleeping through until morning (with a feeding sometime in the middle of the night most nights). Plus, there's never going to be a set wake up time, it'll change constantly. So even if your LO wakes at 3am, the following week may be totally different.

I agree that a baby should never be woken at night unless necessary. How would you like to be woken up before you're ready, told to eat, and then put back in bed?

What I would do in your situation is this: wake up ~30 min earlier and get ready for work as usual. If the baby wakes up, take care of the baby. If not, then pump right before you leave. It's not the end of the world for your DH to get up after you leave for work, since you will most likely be getting up the rest of the night. If you can do it, why can't he?

• Loading the player...
  • I will be taking either a 6 or 8 week leave from work.

My plan (and we will see how well this works) is that I'll got to bed at 9 and dh will be taking care of lo until midnight.Then we will switch & I will take care of lo from midnight to 4am this way we both have an equal chunk of time for uninterupted sleep.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am the one who takes LO to daycare and I have to be to work at 8am...so I get up at 6:15 do all the get ready things (except getting work clothes one), take the dogs out (we live in an apartment), feed the dogs, go in and change LO's clothes and diaper (usually he sleeps through this), then have a bottle ready for him when he wakes up.  Then I go get dressed and we are out the door by 7:05am.  He's dropped at daycare at 7:15 and I am at work by 8 (well sometimes 7:45).

It's a tight morning routine, but it works...I just have to stay on task and it runs smoothly.  I also get things for daycare ready the night before and hang it in a canvas bag on the door knob so I am not scrambling in the morning.

• I agree with the pp who said that your routine will change a lot in the first few months.  Right now my DD still wakes for one feeding around 4 am, then goes back to sleep.  But at 8 weeks she was waking at 2 am and 5 am.  But every day and every week is different for the first few months, and then you'll find a routine that works for you, with minor adjustments made all the time.  Just make sure your DH is part of the process--he's a parent too!
  • imageShufflerChick:

What I would do in your situation is this: wake up ~30 min earlier and get ready for work as usual. If the baby wakes up, take care of the baby. If not, then pump right before you leave.

This is what I would do as well.

We get DS up at 6 am. He is used to the routine, and there is no sleeping in on the weekends. DH and I get up at the same time, he takes care of DS - change, bottle, dress - and I get myself ready. I get up about 15 minutes earlier than I used to so that I can leave 15 minutes earlier and have plenty of time to do daycare drop-off.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i leave at 7. I wake up at 5am, if dd is still sleeping I let her sleep and either dream feed or I pump since in the mornings I always have to pump anyway since I produce 1 extra bottle at that time.Then my husband has a bottle if he needs it. He leaves w/dd at 8:30.
  • Right now DH is a SAHD until fall semester starts, but he will be doing the drop offs in the morning.

I leave at 6:30 and wake up at 5:15. I shower, dress, do my hair and makeup. Then I wake DH up for his shower. While he's showering, I dream feed both girls. He then either is up for the day, or sometimes crawls back into bed if both girls are still asleep.  Nursing has added roughly 30 minutes to my morning routine with twins, but they are pretty efficient nursers. I only change diapers at night if they poop.

If they wake up during that feed, DH takes over as soon as he's out of the shower with them and will change their diapers/outfits/etc

I have all of their bottles for the next day and all of my pumping stuff prepared the night before. So I just have to pick up my purse, pump, lunch, and walk out the door.

TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"