Georgia Babies

going to hawaii!

I'll be on Oahu for 10 days (DH is going for work and I'm tagging along for a vacation).  What are the must see things to do or places to eat. 

Re: going to hawaii!

• I'll post my trip review soon- I promise.  Ours was a very kid friendly trip since we had 5 kids ages 2-15, and we rented a house so we ate there most of the time (just easier and cheaper).  But we did stop at one of the Shrimp trucks on the North Shore (Giovanni's) for some shrimp and shaved ice and it was delicious.  Where will you be staying?  Waikiki?  If so, I highly reccommend going over to some of the other parts of the island.  To me, Waikiki/Honolulu just doesn't feel like Hawaii- although the shopping is great.  We stayed in Kailua and I think that's where I will stay from now on- it was beautiful.  Also, DH and I stayed at the JW Marriott Ihilani one night as well.  It's on the other side of the island and that side was very pretty too.  The beaches are rocky on that side so all the resorts created these amazing lagoons- the water is crystal clear and very calm.  Just gorgeous.  We also got a day room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village our last day while we killed time before our 9:30 pm flight.  No matter where you stay, you can go to any of the beaches- all beaches are required to be open to the public in Hawaii so the hotels can't block you from going to "their" beach.  We even drove in to the Turtle Bay Resort and checked that out.  We were looking for a playground for the kids and they didn't have one but the manager happened to be riding around on a golf cart when we asked and he said "that's a great idea- we'll put one in!"  Everyone was so friendly.  Be prepared to drop some cash though- especially at the resorts.  $8 for a coke at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  Yikes.  We all went to Hanauma Bay for snorkeling and that was beautiful.  Other things that some of our group did- deep sea fishing, submarine ride, bought "real" Hawaiian shirts at Hilo Hattie, and they wanted to go cage diving with the sharks on the North Shore but the water was too rough that day.  They enjoyed it all.  We also went to a luau at Paradise Cove.  Honestly, I thought it was overpriced and too touristy, but it really does get good reviews online so you may want to check that out.  It's right next to the Marriott so you can check out those lagoons while you're over there!  We thought about doing the zoo or Sea Life Park but never made it to either one.

• myrallmyrall member
    Whoo hoo!!! Have a fab time! If you go before me, I'll need a full report. :)
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • myrallmyrall member
    I wonder if any of the hotels do pool passes of some kind. I'd definitely be into that since we're staying at a private home. 
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Gah!  I'm so jealous!  Have a great time!  I've never been to Oahu, but I LOVE Maui and the Big Island.  We're hoping to go back next year.
    Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
    my blog
  • care99care99 member

So exciting!!  You will have a wonderful time.  We went to Oahu and Kauai for our first anniversary, but spent the bulk of the time in Kauai.  Where are you staying?  We stayed at the JW Marriott Ihilani on the west side of Oahu.  I loved this hotel, and it had beautiful grounds and a great spa.  Definitely go to Pearl Harbor and the north shore as well for the beaches.  We also went to a pineapple plantation and a few other beaches on the east side.  Are you going to be on Oahu the entire time?  I think there is a lot to do in/around Honolulu but we didn't have enough time to explore that area.  Have fun!

• I am so jealous! We spent part of HM on Oahu and loved the island. My favorite part was snorkeling at Haunama Bay. We also went to the Polynesian Cultural Center, a museum that I can't remember the name of, and we also spent a day driving around the island. I really liked Waikiki and we stayed at the Aqua Palms. Have fun!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • KerrinKerrin member
    I'll be on Oahu the entire time.  DH will be working at the Univ. of Hawaii, so I'm sure that the hotel will be near there, and definitely not anything fabulous.  Thanks for the tips, keep them coming!
  • care99care99 member

imageKerrin:
    I'll be on Oahu the entire time.  DH will be working at the Univ. of Hawaii, so I'm sure that the hotel will be near there, and definitely not anything fabulous.  Thanks for the tips, keep them coming!

Wait-so DH will be working and you'll be on your own for at least a day?  I'd find a hotel with a fabulous spa and park it there for a day.  You will generally get pool/beach access with spa services.  Relax and enjoy some you time!

• K&P414K&P414 member

imageKerrin:

You'd be surprised.  Pretty much everything in Hawaii is fabulous :)  We also went snorkeling in Haunama Bay.  It's very, very pretty.  I also rec the Pearl Harbor Tour.

• imagecare99:

imageKerrin:

Wait-so DH will be working and you'll be on your own for at least a day?  I'd find a hotel with a fabulous spa and park it there for a day.  You will generally get pool/beach access with spa services.  Relax and enjoy some you time!

Yes, definitely do a spa day somewhere.  I did get a pregnancy massage at the Ihilani spa and it was ok.  The spa was fabulous though.  I just couldn't enjoy most of it b/c I'm pregnant and it was all heat related stuff- sauna, steam room, roman tub.  But I did take a book and relaxed with my feet in the Roman tub.  I hung out in there for about an hour and a half before my massage- DH also went and he said that the men's side had a big TV so they could watch sports in between their sauna/steam room stuff.  I thought this was so funny.  You could also do Turtle Bay's Spa- it's supposed to be really good too I think.  I seem to remember Samantha Brown getting some sort of lava mud treatment outside by the ocean... looked like pure heaven.  God I hate that woman.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"