Baby Names

Sticky note

This forum doesn't have a sticky, but if it did...what would you say? What's the stuff we seem to say over and over again?

I was thinking "Nevaeh is almost universally disliked" for starters.  

ETA: The Baby Names Sticky Note has a new home!

https://tb-babynames.blogspot.com/

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image

Re: Sticky note

• "The ladies on this board are brutally honest.  Know that when you ask for opinions, you're going to get honest reactions."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Probably something about the misspelling of names (replacing i's with y's and c's with k's, etc) being atrocious and trashy.

• Loading the player...
  • imageMichelleL1118:
    "The ladies on this board are brutally honest.  Know that when you ask for opinions, you're going to get honest reactions."

Yes 

• Everyone is over the Aidan/Jaden/Braden/Caden/Daylin names. Most people don't like the "trendy" names like Bentley, Gracen, and Addison. Everyone hates the random "y's" and misspellings like Madalyn, Jordyn, Karsynn, and Izack.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • how to make a clicky poll! That's asked at least once, if not more, a day.
  • Awesome - keep them coming!

imageEmiliana7:
    how to make a clicky poll! That's asked at least once, if not more, a day.

And if you want to write out the instructions, I'll keep this link for newbs.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
  • imageMichelleL1118:
    "The ladies on this board are brutally honest.  Know that when you ask for opinions, you're going to get honest reactions."

I love this and at times I think people really need to hear honest opinions before they give their child a name that they will have for life!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks, mj!

And what's the consensus on deleting a post? My thoughts...

"if you're going to include your last name, it would be a good idea to delete the post later because of possible Internet crazies."

and

"if you plan on deleting a post later, please include an 'FYI - I may be deleting this later' type of message" 

• 1. This is a place where you will get brutally honest feedback on names. It's for your child's own good.

2. How to make a clicky poll.

3. Everyone is over Aiden/Brayden/Caden.

4. Random usage of Ks and Ys are not generally well received.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imagebraveangel2:

Thanks, mj!

And what's the consensus on deleting a post? My thoughts...

"if you're going to include your last name, it would be a good idea to delete the post later because of possible Internet crazies."

and

"if you plan on deleting a post later, please include an 'FYI - I may be deleting this later' type of message" 

No, you should not DD posts because of feedback others might get. If you post your last name, just go in and edit it to take your last name out.

My Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    SAIF Always Welcome
    Diagnosed with PCOS: 10/03, On BCP to "treat" until: 7/09
    Provera to end Cycles 1-9 (anovulatory)
    Cycle #4 & 5: Clomid 50 mg FAIL
    RE Visit: 2000 mg Metformin
    Cycle 6:Forced Break, looking for androgen secreting tumor
    Cycle 7:Clomid CD 3-10, 12-17 FAIL
    Cycle 8: Clomid CD 3-10, Bravelle CD 12-24 Hyperstimmed
    New RE: Put on Byetta, lost 23 lbs
    Cycle 9: Financial Break
    Cycle 10: Femara CD 3-7, IUI CD 17 BFP on 2/14/11, m/c 3/7/11
  • If you ask for opinions on this board, you will get them, good or bad.  Don't post a name choice if you're simply looking for validation, because you may not get it.  The opinions on this board are not meant to be taken personally, and please understand that if anonymous people on the internet make fun of a name, you can bet that your future child's classmates and peers will make fun of it as well.

Please use proper English and adult words, not "text speak".

Cre8tive spelling is generally disliked and frowned upon. 

Keep name lists limited - it's a major chore for people to sort through a list of 30 names and tell you what they do and do not like.

Abbreviations:

fn = first name

mn = middle name

ln = last name

nms = not my style

(add any other abbreviations that are used frequently on this board)

Include a link to the social security most popular names lists?

• Do not post about a friend of a friend who knew a girl named L-A. 
  • imagejuniper19:
    Do not post about a friend of a friend who knew a girl named L-A. 

HAHAHA!!  Good one.  Yes

• LURK BEFORE POSTING!

You don't get to just join The Bump one day, and ask a question the next. Generally if you lurk in EVERY thread for a week, you will get the general idea, and will not ask us as many stupid questions. But I'm a bronze poster, and I've still never posted my own thread!

Also...

Any "La-a" or "Lemonjello and Orangello" posts get you immediately BANNED for three fortnights!

• I'm adding:

Cardinal Rules of Baby Naming:

1. Nobody owns a name; therefore, nobody can steal 'your' name.

2. She who has a baby first, gets to name a baby first.

3. It's your baby, therefore you get to pick the name you like.

• Articles on baby naming:

1. https://youcantcallitit.com/7-deadly-trends/

2. https://nameberry.com/blog/2010/08/16/9-timeless-rules-for-naming-your-baby/

Note: the Bump naming board (and the Internet in general) is a great replacement for #3 on this list, especially if you're trying to keep the name quiet from family.

• How to search the Bump:

Curious to see if your favorite name has been discussed on The Bump Baby Names Board? The Bump's search function doesn't work! Go to Google and type this in the search bar:

site:community.thebump.com (then the name you're looking for) 

To narrow your search even further, add the word 'name' before or after the name you're looking for.

• https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/36126886.aspx

A lesson on claiming names - don't do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"