Alabama Babies

Do I need a swing?

I'm in the process of putting up items we received at our shower and trying to decide what I still need to have.  I have another shower on July 11, but my dad's family traditionally only brings clothes and diapers. 

I have a bouncer, but don't have a swing.  The next consignment sale here is in September, so I could probably find one there if I can make it a month.  

Is a swing an immediate necessity?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

m/c 05/2009
DD born 8/9/10
TTC #2 since 8/2012
CP 12/2012
dx MFI 10/2013
Surprise BFP 11/6/2013  EDD 7/19/2014
Beta #1 15 dpo HCG 355 Prog 30.9
Beta #2 22 dpo HCG 8147 Prog 18.8
Beta #3 29 dpo HCG 44580 Prog 29.8

Re: Do I need a swing?

• I would say no, it's not an immediate thing.  For me, a bouncer is, but not a swing.  Allie never even liked her swing so we could have done without it completely.  I would wait it out for the consignment sales.
    Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

• I'll have to say no too.  We used our bouncer tons, the swing not so much.  Whether a baby likes the swing depends on the baby I think. I definitely think you can make it a month until the consignment sales. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I could have gone without the swing, but it converted to a baby seat and rocking chair, and he loves it now!
  • I am going to be the odd ball and say yes!!!  Parker loved his swing and slept in it most of the time for naps and many nights.  If you are going to get one, make sure you get the ones that swing side to side.  I know so many people that their babies didn't like traditional swings but loved the papasan cradle swings.  Parker was one of them.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • James has 2 swings (a really expensive new "soothing center" one and an older, cheaper used one).  He really doesn't love either.  Wish we had just bought one at a consignment/yard sale and hadn't put the new one on our registry.
  • YES!!!  The swing was sometimes the only way I could get my babies to sleep!
  • I'm going with no as well.  Kenley wasn't ever a really big fan of the swing...bouncer was a MUST have for her.  Taylor really couldn't care less about either...but then she's still new so we'll see.

I say hold out until the consignment sale for sure!

DD 6/17/08, DD 6/9/10, DD 12/15/11
    BFP 5/24/13 - Natural MC 6/7/13
    BFP 8/13/13 - Natural MC 8/27/13
    Ovarian Mass = removal of left ovary & tube 9/13
    BFP 4/24/14 - Tubal Pregnancy 5/7/14
    Removal of  ruptured right tube 5/8/14
    IVF or adoption??
  • Honestly for us, the swing was an absolute life-saver!!  DD would only sleep in my arms or in the swing for the first 3+months of her life due to reflux/colic.  She took naps in it until she was 6 months old.  I actually still have it and use it for my friends that have had their 2nd child when they come over for playdates. 

We bought the FP Papasan swing.  DD hated it at first, but obviously ended up loving it.

• imagenjslp:
    I am going to be the odd ball and say yes!!!  Parker loved his swing and slept in it most of the time for naps and many nights.  If you are going to get one, make sure you get the ones that swing side to side.  I know so many people that their babies didn't like traditional swings but loved the papasan cradle swings.  Parker was one of them.

This exactly. We also had a papasan-style swing that went from side to side and we used it from the first week home with Kennedyuntil she was 12 months. (yes, I know, we used it a lot longer than we probably should have.) I can't imagine not having it with a newborn though!

But, DD hated her bouncer. So, we never really used that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• I think of a swing as a necessity -  but since you have a bouncer, you can probably wait a month.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD hated both the swing and the bouncer. Luckily we were given two bouncer hand me downs and I found the swing on craigslist for $10. So we weren't out much money.
  • loyo03loyo03 member
    It really just depends on the baby. We were ones that couldn't live without the swing, however, could have lived without the bouncer. I also think going for a travel swing in more practical IMO. You can move it around the house like the bouncer, take it out of town with you, etc. and its easier to just collapse and put away if you aren't using it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"