1st Trimester
Options

Worried, took Advil

I had no idea Advil was bad, no one told me that. It didn't even occur to me that something that simple would be bad for pregnancy. I took a few yesterday, now I am freaking out. Awesome.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

Our baby site: Baby Cragg

Re: Worried, took Advil

• Options

The best you can do now is move forward, know not to take anymore, and stop worrying.

Your body is an amazing thing and will do its best to produce a wonderful child for your family.

It amazes me how much we all worry now-a-days about the simplest things yet not too long ago women were drinking, smoking and caffeine-ing it up like no one's business and yet... the human race is doing just fine.

<<< hugs >>>

image??? Baby Jane born sleeping @ 22.5 weeks ??? MY OWN NUTSHELL -- The Blog
  • Options

Don't stress about it. The reason advil is "bad" is because it dilates your blood vessels and at this point in your pregnancy your body is learning how to re circulate blood and get blood and nutrients to the baby. Tylenol/acetaminophen is the only pain killer that does not affect you blood/vessels in any way. It's the same reason you can't have too much caffeine or why hemophiliacs can't have  these medications. Just don't take it again. 

If it's really a big deal though and you want some assurance call your doc. That's the kind of thing they are here for.  :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh okay. I was readying about it and it said 80% of people who took advil while pregnant misscarried.

imageimage

Our baby site: Baby Cragg

• Options

I'm not sure where you read that, but please avoid that site. 

It's not advised, but I don't think there is any reason to flip out over one dose so early.  Just don't do it anymore.

Tylenol only. 

• Options
    At 5 weeks, the placenta hasn't formed yet, so you're not really sharing a blood supply with baby yet.  Try not to worry - you already took the Advil, there's nothing you can do about it now.  Just know that, from here on out, only Tylenol is safe (both regular and extra-strength are OK).  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You can't change it now, just don't do it again. One dose isn't likely to cause any lasting issues.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Try not to worry now! It's over and done with. As early as you are, things will be just fine! Repetitive use could cause problems but I think if you took only a few the risks are minimal.
  • Options

First, I'm not a doctor, so, if you are really worried I would call your doctor's office.  Now, that being said, I can tell you that with my second pregnancy - which I was high risk and was seeing 4 doctors for - I was told to take 3 x advil every 6 hours to stop contractions that I was having - which was "safe" and fine up to the 36th week mark.  I did this for about a week....and my daughter is just fine.  

Also, I just had my first appointment for my third pregnancy and I told my doctor that I was taking advil during what I think was the first couple weeks of this pregnancy due to a horrbile 2 week cold.  She said not to worry about it at that stage. 

So, take a breath and call your doctor if you are really worried, otherwise, at your stage you should be okay.  Hope this helps.

• Options
    I took Advil Cold & Sinus before I knew I was pregnant with DS.  I was about 5-6 weeks pregnant.  He has suffered no harm :-)  Just don't take it again.
  • Options
    My doctor told me it was okay to take Advil occasionally before 30 weeks. She said not to make it a habit, but a few times throughout the pregnancy is not a big deal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"